• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fat bob's .75" lift shackles? Or oem mj?

Boost_Retard

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for minimal lift, just canceled a tomken 1/2" shackle Order due to a 4 week delay, I prefer rubber over urethane.

Is anyone here running the fat bob .75 shackle? Is it tin junk with recycled rubber garbage bushing? Waste of 60 bucks? Would I be better off ordering new oem mj shackles with supposedly less lift (good thing) for 110 bucks? I know the oem rubber is good stuff... The tomken shackles offer the best advertised lift height and probably the most beef for the buck but your stuck with crap urethane bushings...

I have yet to bend a shackle but my cut and fold bumper is coming and I will be ditching my factory hitch, landing on a shackle could be a possibility.

All in all I don't want to trash my current squeak free ride quality with too much lift/hard bushings and I don't want cheap garbage parts.

Last edited:
Rustys sells a good .75 lift shackles you can also go with JKS boomranges they give an in or so of lift, there are a few companies that sell smaller "lift shackles"

Iron Rock Offroad makes a 'budget boost' shackle with 2 sets of holes for either stock height or 3/4" lift. It does use poly bushings but I thought I'd mention it here for others who are looking for a sturdy shackle with minimal lift.

I have heard about people using the Chevy C/K truck shackles too but have not looked into it in depth yet.

I just bought some 1" lift Rubicon Express shackles but they may end up being longer than I want, also were a bit more than I wanted to spend after adding shipping, etc... I might decide to go with something else, so I'm interested to hear what those who run them have to say about the MJ or C/K truck shackles...

Thanks for the heads up on the budget boost shackle, had not seen that one before,

If anyone can confirm if the tomken shackle is a true 1/2 shackle, please do.

Ford Ranger shackles are what I used.XJ shackles are 3" ranger shackles are 4.5" long.You would need to grind the bushing part that goes into the body and add some washers between the leaf end.Brand new at advance auto with coupon code cost me around 30 bucks for both shackles.

I wonder if those fat bob shackles require the same grinding and shimming?? I have seen those ranger shackles used before. I have a feeling I will ge getting a e mail from the dealer I ordered my mj shackles from telling me they dont actually have any to sell me... Then it will be down to ranger type shackles or finding a press in rubber bushing to replace whatever urethane comes in the aftermarket shackle

At an inch or under for lift, with a rubber bushing, available ASAP... give up one of those creteria and make life a lot easier. just sayin'

I have the IRO budget boost shackle. I had to clean out the threads for one of the grease fittings with a tap. Other than that, no complaints.

No asap required but paying a local premium price and still waiting 4 weeks is a little much, if I order from the USA I get free 2 day shipping on most things with my Amazon prime and pick up from the border once a week, Canada is not quite up to par with some of it's online sales it seems

I just ordered a pair of the Fat Bob's shackles. I emailed their sales people with a couple questions and i think these shackles will work for me.

I will try to get some pictures when they arrive.

20131123_135042_zps3f4732c4.jpg
[/IMG]the stock mj shackle is 4 3/8", the stock xj is 3 1/8, 5/8 lift for an xj, both sets are oem and 3/16 thick

Last edited:
The Fat Bob's shackles arrived today. I think they will work well.

i.php

Made in USA :) It says GM, so somebody here probably knows what they are meant to fit.
i.php
The bushing is a clevite silent bloc - this part is made in Mexico.

i.php

i.php

Bolts are included which is nice.

i.php

I get 4 1/8 center to center so these will provide 1/2 inch of lift.

Back