• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question.

clayton3854

NAXJA Forum User
im having some wobble issues when hitting bumps, I noticed my trac bar and drag link arnt parallel. so my question is has anyone had any wobble issues due to the trac bar and drag link not being parallel, or not really close to parallel lol.

When they are out of parallel, you will get bump steer... meaning when the suspension compresses it will pull one way, and when it droops it will pull the other way.

It shouldn't cause wobble as far as I know.

It depends on what kind of wobble we are talking about. Does it feel like it is going back and fourth several times after the bump, does the body just seem to wobble one way or the other once or twice on a bump, or is it pushing death wobble where it is out of control and sounds like you are breaking everything until you come to a stop?

As stated, bump steer is all you should experience from those being out of whack with eachother. However, having bad geometry can aid in triggering a wobble where you might not get it with good geometry. Either way if it is wobbling beyond bump steer, there are problems somewhere. The easy answer is track bar mounts and bushings and the ends on the tie rod and drag link. If all those are good, there is a bunch of other stuff to check out.

Was there a recent change in your geometry that makes you feel it is causing issues?

PS - if the bars are significantly different lengths, you will have similar issues. Even if the bars are parallel.

icon1.gif

6.5" springs, JCR otk 1 ton steering, iro trac bar, 6-8" with 2" drop bracket, drop pitman arm, I got steering on the axle and for jcr steering you have to cut the bottom of the trac bar mount off the axle mount, thus redrilling and relocated your trac bar bolt on axle mount. might be leaving something out

Looking at the difference there, you should be getting bump steer when you hit a bump. Ie, the jeep tries to turn since the track bar and the drag link won't travel in the same arc. Your track bar needs to come up to be in parallel with the drag link.

I agree with Mark... I would suspect bump-steer based on that pic. It doesn't take much. My track-bar was only about an inch or so low on the axle side, and it was a pretty scary amount of bump steer.

Wobble would be where it oscillates back and forth. Bump steer would be where it tries to turn when you hit a bump.

This is wobble:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDpjL5ghqCQ&t=0m45s

Your axle side of the track bar is in the stock location, and you moved the axle side of your steering up. I doubt going from the drop pitman back to a stock arm is going to fix it, as your TRE at the pitman looks to be about the same level as the track bar frameside pivot point. Your track bar needs to come up a few inches on the axle side to get everything parallel again.

It's a wobble you hit certain bumps and steering wheel shakes sometimes controllable sometimes significantly slow down and it goes away... jeep has all new tres as po of the axle/steering didn't do the tapers correctly, has new bjs, tbar bushings are good , lca bushings are a little meh but ok, axle side uca bushings are smoked but shouldn't cause it, fyi I am working on the jeep

Sounds like you have death wobble not bump steer, they look pretty parallel to me... Its mounting point to mounitng point that have to be parallel when you drawn an imaginary line....

With the vehicle on the ground have somone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at everything in the front end especially track bar ends as well as tie rod ends for any play.

Sounds like you have death wobble not bump steer, they look pretty parallel to me... Its mounting point to mounitng point that have to be parallel when you drawn an imaginary line....

With the vehicle on the ground have somone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at everything in the front end especially track bar ends as well as tie rod ends for any play.

theres no play in anything

steering wheel shakes sometimes controllable sometimes significantly slow down and it goes away...

What you describe sounds like death wobble to me...

But, I still believe you will be getting bump steer the way it is set up. They don't look close enough to parallel to me.

i had the JCR OTK 1 ton setup and sold it because i was tired of replacing the bushing that keeps the TRE where it attaches to the knuckle from rolling over. have you checked that bushing? it's a little poly donut that goes over the shaft of the TRE, if its missing or worn out the steering gets a lot of slop in it.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/STR/PLYBSH.html

It's a wobble you hit certain bumps and steering wheel shakes sometimes controllable sometimes significantly slow down and it goes away... jeep has all new tres as po of the axle/steering didn't do the tapers correctly, has new bjs, tbar bushings are good , lca bushings are a little meh but ok, axle side uca bushings are smoked but shouldn't cause it, fyi I am working on the jeep

ummm... new TREs arentgoing to fix anything if the knuckles are F'ed.

i had the JCR OTK 1 ton setup and sold it because i was tired of replacing the bushing that keeps the TRE where it attaches to the knuckle from rolling over. have you checked that bushing? it's a little poly donut that goes over the shaft of the TRE, if its missing or worn out the steering gets a lot of slop in it.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/STR/PLYBSH.html

yes, we just installed a new bushing, and Issue still exists.

ummm... new TREs arentgoing to fix anything if the knuckles are F'ed.

yes, we obviously got 2 new knuckles and had them correctly reamed by a 4x4 shop, and issue is still there.

Back