• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box upgrade?

Joe98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have 98 XJ obviously. My question is this, I recently went to a pick and pull and pulled a pump and steering box from a 96 grand. Is it the same set up that is on the 98 XJ's. Obviously the pulley is different but is everything else the same? They appear identical so before I start wrenching on something that isn't going to be an improvement I want some advice.

they are the same units

That's what I thought, wasn't 100% sure. Thanks.

Pretty sure ZJ boxes have a faster ratio. I ran one for a while. Had to pull it out, was a little too fast.

a 4 bolt j20 box (there are 2, you want the bigger one) is a big upgrade.

AGR uses the 4 bolt J20 boxes as their platform and they make it better. I use a used AGR 4 bolt box, still seems legit, got it for free, wouldnt pay 400$ for one.

Do you have a part number for that ZJ box which is faster?
I want a faster box for 'recejeep'.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have to find one of these ZJ 12.7:1 boxes.

sounds like parts stores dont really have em, probably just a stock ZJ box at the JY. I ran one for a while. It was noticeably faster steering.

This would be ideal for the 'racejeep' and autocross. Could use the 'faster' steering.
Now to find a ZJ at the JY. :laugh3:
Thanks.

I know someone online did a swap to a f body Camaro box. You just have to change out the fittings but it's a MUCH faster box. There's actually articles online about swapping jeep boxes into older camaros for power steering or something.

I found and read so much today, looks like-

Stock XJ cherokee 3.3 turn to turn
Lares 1353 12.7:1 3.0 turn to turn $93.79 with $35 core charge Grand Cherokee ZJ
Lares 1282 10.0:1 2.6 turn to turn $203.89 with $35 core charge
Cardone 27-7525, ATSCO 7525, Durlast 7525 ? all cherokee XJ 3.3 lock to lock $150.99 with $15 core charge
Duralast 7553 2.6 lock to lock $275.99 with $94 core charge

also looking at mid 80s GM and Buicks- don't know if fluid lines are same thread ?metric or AN

All above have-
input shaft diameter 0.72"
input shaft spline count 26
output shaft diameter 1.25"
output shaft spline count 32
power steering inlet size 18mm x 1.5
power steering outlet size 16mm x 1.5

Ordered a G body steering box today to compare. Spec are the same as XJ, just faster ratio.

Back