• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Checking CPS right?

Laurent Wagoneer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. 1993 cherokee L6
I have my multimeter set to the speaker looking function.
Black wire on the COM and the red on the one with all the functions.
I'm touching the C pin with the black probe and the B pin with the red and get a reading of 599.
If I switch the probes (red with C and black with B) I get nothing.

Am I reading the CPS right? Is the CPS faulty with that 599 reading?

This is for my 95. Should be the same for a 93.
Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C
Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-10K scale for this test.
The meter reading should be open (no resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

Yes. If I touch them together they beep.
I get a reading if I switch the probes and then no reading if I switch hem again as described above..... Trying to figure out what the deal is. Already tried 3 different readers.

I think the poster has confused his symbols. I think the "speaker looking function" is really a "headphone looking function", which is probably the omega symbol (last letter in the greek aplhabet). I think you are on the right mode selection. Is the meter auto-ranging, or do you have several selections for different resistance scales?

I think the poster has confused his symbols. I think the "speaker looking function" is really a "headphone looking function",
Nope, its the continuity function with a speaker icon. It beeps when there is continuity.

Ok ok.... Is that te right function to check Cps?

Again... Red touches B and black touches C I get 599
I switch it and B touches B and red touches C and I get nothing.
This has been done with 3 multimeters.
Is the Cps not working? Am I screwing up? This is a Renix

I tested mine using the variety of tests on here, it tested good everytime. Jeep would still not run.

Had it towed home, and said what the hell, throw a CPS at it. started right up and has run fine since.

Intermittent CPS failure brings the suck

Back