• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

36X12.5X16 GY MTR II Fitment?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what type of BS should I have and how much lift would I need to fit these. They are surplus Hummer tires. Would I need fiberglass fenders or is it possible to trim enough? Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Thanks

as a general statement?

>= 4" of lift.
healthy trimming.
massaging where ever clearance issues arise inside the fenders.

depending on wheels and axles, clearance problems will differ. more info would be better. but i hope your not planning to run those tires on stock axles, they are heavy as sin. and the general consensus will be that they suck.

Yes they are 16.5. Would a D30 with 30spline shafts and an 8.8 be strong enough?

Yes they are 16.5. Would a D30 with 30spline shafts and an 8.8 be strong enough?
you talking about the MTR style tread or the military style? either way its a very heave wheel/tire combo and i wouldnt run it on a 30

What would be the largest tire I should run? I want to do Fordyce and would need at least 35's.

You should be able to fit 36" tires on a 4" lift with some healthy trimming but don't expect to get a whole lot of up-travel out of your suspension. I'd guess you'd get maybe 3.5" max out of the front and less out back unless you made custom wheel wells. While you won't be able to stuff as much you'll be able to run longer body shocks and will get a lot more droop out of them, but your coils will probably pop out before you can take advantage of that.

You shouldn't go over 33" tires on a D30 without doing some serious upgrades, alloy shafts, full cased locker, etc. Lots of guys do Fordyce on 33's.

You shouldn't go over 33" tires on a D30 without doing some serious upgrades, alloy shafts, full cased locker, etc. Lots of guys do Fordyce on 33's.

Thanks for the input Fordyce looks perry tuff and a lot of guy say they wouldn't run it with tires smaller than 35s. I have been searching Craig's List because I am on a tight budget however a lot people want a lot of money for used tires and the Hummer deal looked like the best bang for the buck. I will continue to look for some 33,s if I go any larger I will need to stick my Spare on the roof because it won't fit on my tire carrier.

Clearing them and running are subjective .
plenty of guys run fordyce on a dana 30 and 33" and/or 35" tires . Tires arent cheap either.get used to that .

You can bumpstop and trim to fit on 4". I would not go any deeper than 4" BS, and more than likely I would go either 3.75 or 3.5" BS if you are running a d30 with those.

if you can weld, build a truss, LCA skids, and knuckle gussets. Wont cost much and will greatly increase the strength of the 30 for cheap . Grab a RS cover. Grab some ABS shafts, the beefy ones, and carry spares. between some JY abs shafts(100$), RS cover(100$) and misc steel for a truss(40$) your should should be in OK shape.

Just remember an XJ on 4" and 36s and under should be concerned about hydrolocking on fordyce from what I can tell. Consider a cowl intake setup or a cheap snorkel. alot of guys hydrolock out there.

Last edited:
Dude you can't rock crawl on 35's..

All plans aside, I would not run those tires on a dana 30. They are *freaking heavy*. Also, I don't think you'll find a 5x4.5 16.5" wheel anywhere.

Stick to a more traditional 35.

how much wheeling have you done? fordyce definitely isnt a trail for beginners. if you're going to hook up some 33's and mild built stock axles you need to play around at the rubicon and other easier trails.

if fordyce is the eventual goal, ultra pimped D30 and 35's with lockers front and rear is great. you'll have a lot of fun on the trail and struggle through a lot of spots. but even on 35's the river can still be too deep I've hydrolocked out there. expect to get water in the cabin

or you can check the flow chart and if the water is low you can do eagle lakes to cisco and cut out. go passed that and plan on using a winch. it's really a tough ass trail. even the bypasses are harder than most of the "obstacles" on the rubicon trail

My D 30 has cromo 30 splines inner and outer and a tru track. I have only done the Rubicon once and pulled a YJ on 31s through most of the trail and all the way up Cadillac Hill. I didn't have much fun rescuing the YJ the entire trip and destroyed the 8.25 pinion seal was spraying oil like a sprinkler. I am going to do the rubicon this summer but would like to do Fordyce and don't want to buy 33,s if I need a bigger tire for Fordyce. I will most likely have a snorkel and don't mind submerging the jeep just need to figure out what to waterproof and what size tire I should run since In have too much money in the 30.

35" tire is fine. no reason to go bigger on a D30
plan on having to change your front and rear diff fluid. I even managed to get water in my transmission and tcase
you're going to be wishing you had real lockers instead of LSD's at Fordyce, that's for certain

get 35's. run the rubicon. then consider fordyce

I want to get a Detroit Rear locker with C Clip eliminater and cromo shafts before Fordyce.

loved my Detroit. you will enjoy the auto locker. but if you're buying brand new I'd try Yukon grizzly instead.

Why Yukon Grizzley?

Back