• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Current Project (Fuel Pump, Gas Tank Skid, Shackle Relocators, Hitch, Tire Carrier)

notamos

NAXJA Forum User
A few weeks back, I decided to start my "late summer" project. I had the following to install:

Bosch Fuel Pump
PureJeep Gas Tank Skid
FST Shackle Relocators
HiddenHitch Hitch
DetoursUSA Tailbone Tire Carrier

Dropping the tank easy, un-eventful. I decided to install a new fuel pump before installing everything else as they would make dropping the tank later a real PITA. The OEM pump was a breeze to install, used a wood dowl to rotate the ring. Overall, nothing exciting to report.

While I had the tank off, I thought "why not paint the underside with some Chassis Saver". Ugh. This stuff is really nice and goes on smooth (self leveling) providing you put it on thin. Don't do it thick or you'll end up with bubbles all over. I did everything from the rear of the vehicle up to the rear axle. I'll do the rest of that later.

I was getting ready to re-install the tank and realized that I had broken both of the j-bolts when removing the tank. So, I went over to Amazon and ordered a new set of straps/bolts for $20 or so. They came unpainted, ugh. Got them painted & re-installed.

After this, I had to put some thought into how I was going to tackle this next part. I had no idea if the skid/relocators/hitch/tire carrier would work together w/o major hassle. The first thing I did was install the bracing for the Detours Tailbone because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do that after the rest of these parts were on or not. Turns out - you could, but it would be tough. I then took the skid/relocators/hitch and laid them out in the yard for a dry run. I tried to bolt them together w/ the nutstrips to see what I was dealing with.

The first issue is that the hitch and the skid wouldn't go together w/o some angle grinder. I ended up having to cut off the rear "wall" of the skid, notching the skid for the receiver, notching the "lips" for the rails of the hitch and cutting new holes for the mounting holes that are the furthest forward. They were in the completely wrong place. I called up PureJeep about this, they gave me an attitude & told me it was my Jeep. Whatever. All together, it took me a few hours & was fairly easy to do. The hitch and skid fit together like a glove now.

After this, I decided to jump into the shackle relocators. I bought this set mainly because I wanted something low-pro, and I got a good deal on them during one of their sales. They require that you cut off the original shackle mounts. No problem there. More angle grinder! They seemed to fit fine but I wasn't ready to install them yet.

I had the bright idea of putting these together w/ the skid/hitch and then having the entire assembly welded together - to make installation easier. LOL. I bolted them all together w/ the nutrips and welded. Just a few tacks actually. The "assembly" looked sweet but was a total PITA to get up into place. The relocators stick out to the sides, over the leafs. This made fishing the entire thing into place very difficult. In the end, I ended up cutting the relocators free and doing it in two pieces. The relocators first (up against the frame), then the skid/hitch (in that order from the frame).

Next problem, the holes in the frame did not line up w/ the nutstrips real well. I put the nustrips in the frame, marked the areas that were not going to work and did some cutting w/ my dremel. They got worse as you moved forward. 5 holes/side.

Next problem, the nustrips I purchased (from FST) were not going to work with this setup either. On the passenger side of my 99, inside the frame "box", there is a steel plate welded to the frame. This is where the OEM tailpipe mount is connected. There is NO way to get this plate out w/o tearing the frame up. Problem is - the FST nutstrips don't have the hump in them to clear this plate. Solution was to order a set of JCR nutstrips and be done with it. Truth be told, I would have rather used the FST strips. They are 1/4 and are pure beef. If I had a mill, I would have been set.

After waiting for the JCR strips to arrive, I painted them up & tried them out. They worked great, nice fit w/ my newly-opened frame holes. Only issue was - they come with bolts that are too short for my needs (though the hitch/skid/relocators/into the nutstrip. I bought some 2" grade-8s from the hardware store for this.

I installed the relocators loosely with one bolt through the original upper shackle hole and then raised the skid/hitch combo into place with a jack. It fit great, only difficult bolts to put in were the two skid bolts furthest from the rear. This is because the skid is NOT cut correctly. I cussed a bit, drank some, cussed more, then got out pry bars and my wife. I did the pulling, she started the bolts for me. This issue alone would make me not recommend this skid. Trying to pry 3/16" steel is not easy.

I ended up getting it all bolted in and ready to hook up my leafs again. I was going to use my OEM shackles as I was a bit high in the rear end already. They didn't work. First, the bushings were too wide. I had to use the angle grinder to take about 1/8" off the total width. Easy enough, right? But, at a 45-deg angle, they were hitting the rear bolt on the frame rail (holding my hitch/skid/relocators up). Hmm, I figured I could throw in some JKS boomerang shackles that I had on the shelf.

I got them out, assembled/greased the bushings & went to put them in the relocator box. Too wide. Off to the angle grinder. Narrowed them down a bit (both the poly bushings and the steel bushing) and they fit fine. Then I went to stick the upper bolt through the relocator/shackle, no dice. The FST relocators come w/ 9/16" bolts for this. The OEM upper shackle bolt is a M14x2.0 (about .47" dia). Oddly enough, I stuck the 9/16" bolt through a OEM shackle - went through. Fine, drill out the steel bushing to 9/16". This was easy to do & got me rolling again. I installed the shackles on both sides and greased them up. Then, the lower M14x2.0 bolt. UGH, it hits the frame when flexed. Angle grinder, cut the original bolt a bit shorter.

So, this is where it sits now. I have everything back together and fitting nicely - but I need to figure out my exhaust pipe. It is a tight fit between the skid and the leaf. I'm thinking about fabbing up a mount to keep it in the current location or possibly going to a shop and having them convert it to a side exit (over the leaf, behind the tire). We'll see.

I'll be finishing up the Tailbone install in the next week and will report back. Overall, this thing looks/fits awesome so far.

I have some pics of everything & will post them up when I have a sec. Mainly, I wanted to post this in case anyone else is wondering if this combination will work. Sure, but it is NOT bolt on.

Back