• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air filter not sealing properely.

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
I have noticed that the air filter in my 95xj doesn't sit down on the airbox on the end corners properely resulting in the air filter not sealing perfectly at the opposite corners. I suspect that the airbox has twisted.

Has anybody else noticed this and does anybody know if a later model airbox will fix this problem.

I've gotten a couple of filters recently that were a quarter of an inch short lengthwise.

I just snug the bottom mounting bolts in my filter box, if I overtighten they pull the air box out of shape. I figure if one or more work loose they really aren't going to hurt anything anyay. I also lithium grease the bolts heavily before I reinstall them.

1/4" to short. Thats the problem with mine, but all the filters have been the same. Did you work out why the filters were short , were they for a different model or what ever. Funny thing is the air filter seems to sit in the top cover for the airbox but when I sit the filter in the bottom part of the airbox there is actually a gap which would be closed if the filter was 1/4" longer. Its like the air box has stretched but it has always been like that. I have a feeling the airbox is made to very poor standards in the first place. Maybe one off a later model would be better.

I don't know why they are too short, I postulated they were spec'd out wrong by some engineer and whoever manufacturers them decided to eat the complaints to save the money in retooling.

Or maybe they shrink after they are formed and somebody neglected to figure in the shrinkage.

Or some slick person figured out by making them a quarter of an inch short they could argue in front of the patent court they weren't infringing on a patent and save some fees.

I have a box (pretty much a lifetime supply) of pre filters (military) flat foam that fit under the OEM filter. I was thinking of making some of my own long enough to wrap them around the end of the filter, effectively sealing the gap. This is likely to disturb the seal someplace else though. The Mil spec pre filters are a little longer than the (recent) short stock filters and may help with larger particles. The pre filters are designed to supplement the stock filters in desert climates, not as stock filter replacement. These pre filters are leftovers from the first gulf war, I'm unsure if anyone still makes them or not.

My first inclination was duct tape :), but I was a little afraid it might come loose and get sucked down the intake.

I've been using Crown automotive filters recently (what's available), maybe I should try another brand next time. Maybe OEM is a better fit.

Mine is a 96 I can't really tell you if later model airboxes may be a better fit or not. I can tell you by very carefully placing the filter and trying not to disturb it while putting the lid on (no small feat) the gap all but disappears or is negligible.

Last edited:
I wonder if anybody has a filter that actually fits anymore and what brand they are?

I had that same issue and it wasn't the filter, the box itself was stretched or possibly not made to spec. As you said the filter still fit the lid but the box was too wide in the center. A good used box out of a junkyard XJ fixed it.

i've had this problem before with both FRAM filters, and the low end "silver line" filters at NAPA (I work at NAPA) on various cars - for some reason mostly with toyotas and hondas. haven't noticed a problem with the "NAPA gold" filters which are made by WIX, orielieys carries the WIX filters as well. they just seem to be a higher quality item but worth the extra couple bucks if they fit right every time.

Back