• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock or "slip"? on low speed large radius turns.

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
Today I heard and felt un-rhythmic knocks when going through large radius turns slowly. I.e. on a windy road with slow traffic probably less than 5mph. My XJ does have a limited slip diff, is this a normal feeling? It does kinda feel like it could be the limited slip clutches slipping. I've never had a car with an LSD so I'm not sure. Can anyone testify if they've felt this too?

Been a while since you changed the fluid?

Well, I changed it 6yrs ago and it sat in the garage until recently... I don't remember for sure if I put in friction additive for the LSD, but I don't know why I wouldn't have, so I'm guessing I did.

I was considering changing to synthetic for the small mpg advantage.

When mine messes up it chatters, almost a vibration. The only time I get a knock or actually more like thump, is a one time thing and only happens under certain driving conditions. Like moderately accelerating ( a little faster than normal) out of a moderate turn from a stop (or near stop). That thump can screw you up on a slick street and makes the XJ want to swap ends.

Hmm, well, perhaps I'll change the fluid out for synthetic and add fresh LSD additive. I hear the GM stuff is the best. I went to a Toyota dealer and they even told me they go over to the Chevy dealer across the street and buy it there because "it's the best"..

Hmm, well, perhaps I'll change the fluid out for synthetic and add fresh LSD additive. I hear the GM stuff is the best. I went to a Toyota dealer and they even told me they go over to the Chevy dealer across the street and buy it there because "it's the best"..

Synthetics are good in most instances superior to dino oils. But they do tend to leak more. My guess is the leftover junk from dino oils actually helps with sealing, the superior detergent properties of synthetics clean away the deposits and promote leakage.

Back