• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter interrupting ignition power?

SolarBell

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed some new gauges today and apparently one of them has to settle for a second to calibrate before starting the engine. However it appears the ignition power lead I chose gets interrupted whenever I start the engine, so the gauge never calibrates because it has to restart after I let off the starter and the engine is running.

I was under the impression that all of the ignition power lines were the same, but that is obviously not the case. I'm currently tapped into the cigarette lighter circuit but I can't find that marked anywhere on the wiring diagrams I have. Can anyone point me to a better place under the dash where I should look?

2000 Sport

The cigar lighter goes through a relay that is interrupted when going to the START position.

You need a power source that is from RUN only, Circuit A22.

The only place to tap into that I could suggest is the Rear Wiper/Washer Switch.

This circuit is protected by a 20 Amp fuse in the JB, fuse 22.

Power goes from fuse 22 to pin 5 of the Rear Wiper switch. Its an 18 gauge Brown/Pink tracer wire.

The rear wiper and washer circuit carries a heavy load when operated, and the 20 fuse shows it. I don't know how many Amps your instruments will draw and if they would blow the fuse when everything is operating (?), but there's very little choice as to what RUN circuit you can tap into, except the Rear Washer circuit, and it is close to your instruments.

Try it out and see if the fuse blows. ;)

Do not put a higher rated fuse in this slot to accomodate the instruments.

Back