• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non-breakaway side mirrors

blenny

RRC President
I was at the junk yard today looking for among other things a new passenger side mirror. I found one that looks exactly like the old style (pre96?) but it was not break away, and was manual remote. I have not noticed a non breakaway mirror before and Google cannot seem to find them for me. Was this aftermarket, or a single year thing? Wouldn't mind having one like it for the driver side since all the breakaways seem to break.

My old 95 2dr was a bare bones optioned XJ that has non breakaways. First time I smashed them on a tree , I had to hammer flat the mounting sheetmetal from it pulling out a little. I put breakaways on so that when I hit trees again it wouldn't ruin the doors.

Old Comanches had non-remote breakaway mirrors that held up pretty well and stayed working even when the snap-down seats were pretty well clobbered. As long as the spring holds it down, it stays put even if it's just resting on the base.

Back