• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I swap an 89 steering column into a 1991?

bigalpha

I have a feeling that the electrical connections are different. Can I install a 1991 ignition cylinder into an 89?

Good question. It looks like they both use the same starter switch (where the actual electrical connection is made), and the same headlight dimmer switch. The ignition lock cylinder was changed to a Chrysler style in '91, but that doesn't mean they might not still interchange.

This might be one of those 'try it and see' kind of questions, but maybe someone else has tried it and can answer. I would like to know as well; when I needed a new column for my '91 it was really hard to find one out of a '91-'94 at the junkyard. The you-pull yards around here tend to have a lot more Renix XJ's than '91+ models, and good steering columns seem to get pulled really fast. With my XJ as my only driver at the time I couldn't didn't want to risk learning the hard way that a '87-'90 column wouldn't work so I just waited until I found one out of a '92.

Yeah, I haven't found one from a comparable year and the one I have a lead on is a wrong year. After some searching I couldn't really find a definitive answer, which is surprising to me.

Shouldn't be a problem--same ignition switch used up to 1994.

You need to know that the tilt and non-tilt columns use some different parts.

Yes you can swap any of the pre-airbag columns. They are all GM/Saginaw steering columns and the connector pin outs are the same.

the cylinder may or may not go in and come back out iirc, but everything will work. Oh and the ignition switch is different tilt to non tilt like Joe said, so make sure you get the ignition switch with the column if yours is tilt and the donor isn't or vice versa.

Yes you can swap any of the pre-airbag columns. They are all GM/Saginaw steering columns and the connector pin outs are the same.

I wonder if you could use a YJ column or maybe even one out of a GM vehicle. I imagine there could be a couple different versions (maybe different lengths?) but aren't the Saginaw columns pretty universal?

I noticed that if you cross-reference the starter switch or headlight dimmer switch, they are the same used in a ton of GM vehicles.

I'm pretty sure a YJ column will not fit. The flange at the base of the column is a different style, at least 87 YJ to 91 MJ/94 XJ (those are the three columns I've played with, the 94 column is in my MJ now, the 87 column is still in the YJ it started out in.)

There are some differences, I've noticed almost every column in the Renix years is a one off. Though I think most of the differences are in the plastic shell, likely the turn signal wiper washer lever setup and not the internals.

I just noticed there were differences and never really paid much attention to exactly what the differences are. I seem to remember some added/different under dash braces on later model Renix, different plastic shells.

Saginaw columns all have the same basic design but, as Kastein mentioned, overall length and welded bracketry are different. FYI the Hollander interchange only shows MJ/XJ columns as being interchangeable so I'd imagine overall length and the column to dash mounting bracket is specific to the MJ/XJ. I'd consider other GM cars only as a source of parts for your existing column.
Flaming river still uses the Saginaw column design. They have a decent how to measure:
http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/search

Last edited:
When I installed a non-tilt column into my '88, the ignition switch was the same switch as the tilt column it replaced. The switch was mounted upside down and on the other side of the column, IIRC.

I know I had to contort myself even more to get things plugged and eventually realized the plug needed to be turned 180* for it to fit.

Back