• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Outside/ambient temp sensor wiring?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I had to drop my skidplate the other day to wire up some fog lights... since I had it down I took a look up in there and sure enough I had the connector there for an ambient temp sensor (yay! I don't have to run wiring all the way to the front of the vehicle.) I have had an aftermarket mirror with compass, lights, and temp display for a year or so now and the temp sensor is just laying on the pass. floor looking real ghetto. So I went to Carquest and got the factory sensor and installed it (the one that came with the mirror didn't fit the factory plug, and I'm anal enough not to just splice it.) Figured I would find the wiring inside the cabin, splice in the wiring from my mirror, et voila.

Now here's the question. Where is the other end of that wiring? I have a couple factory troubleshooting manuals but not one that has a complete wiring diagram of the vehicle, and the one that I would expect to have that info (body) was no help at all. I was ASSuming that it was somewhere at the big fuse/junction box in the pass footwell, but either it isn't there, or the pinouts in the manual just aren't telling me what I want to know... anyone know where I can find it? I obviously don't have the factory overhead console.

Never mind... I found it! Apparently the white multi-pin connector flopping around loose by the fuse box is the one that I wanted. I'm guessing that if I did have an overhead console that the wiring for said console would connect to that multi-pin connector, run up the A-pillar to the roof, and the other end of that harness would be the connector listed as "Compass" in the body manual. Woulda been nice had they documented that though... also "BK/LB" is "Black/Light Blue" not "Black/Light Brown" as I assumed. Anyway, it's working now... gonna have to tidy everything up tomorrow as it's too dark to work outside now, but I have outside temp display!

I wish I'd known what that connector was when I installed the mirror; would have been a lot easier to pick power out of that connector rather than the radio as I did... oh well, it's done now. Now I can drive in cold rain with more confidence!

Back