• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bottom bolt of rear shock broken

JeepNovice

NAXJA Forum User
IMG_4220_zps309eadc7.jpg

How do I get that bolt out? Do I just cut off the stud?

There are a bunch of writeups on replacing the top ones. Id recoment searching.

for the bottom you have a few options. Weld up a new mount, weld a stud to that broken mount, or drill out the existing stud, tap it, and run a bolt back into it, with a appropriate fitting sleeve in the shock bushing.

Is it safe to cut top bolts w a dremel tool? Since it s so close to gas tank I want to make sure it ll be safe to do so. I ll be drilling and tapping bottom bolt soon.

you can weld a 5/8 bolt on the bottom, the lower shock mounts dosnt use a sleeve

What do you mean by this? I'm not very knowledgeable and just learning this stuff.

I was thinking the entire stud snapped when I said drill it out, tap whjats left, and run a bolt (and sleeve if needed) since yours isnt completely snapped off, just drill it out and tap it and run a bolt with a washer. probably the second easiest over welding a new stud.

I was thinking the entire stud snapped when I said drill it out, tap whjats left, and run a bolt (and sleeve if needed) since yours isnt completely snapped off, just drill it out and tap it and run a bolt with a washer. probably the second easiest over welding a new stud.

Yeah that is my plan, just can't wait for weekend so i can get it done! I got a 5/16 drill and tap set. I hope it works. I am still unsure about what to do with top bolts and if i should get a bar pin eliminator. I think economically it does no make sense to do so and how convenient is it to have them.

Thanks for you help!

Great I guess I give up and pay a shop to do it. It's taking my desire away from working on the jeep. 2 weeks being at a stand still.

How I would fix it:

Cut the top bolts off and remove the shocks.
(If you're fussy about safety, you can drop the gas tank to do it. I'd just throw a leather blanket or a welding tarp over it and cut in such a way that the sparks aren't directed at the tank)

Use wire and fish some new bolts into the upper shock mount holes through the crossmember.
(There's a few write ups on how to do this. It's a MUCH better option than cutting holes in the floor!)

Cut the lower shock mount stud off close to the mount. Drill out the remainder of the old stud or try punching it out.

Use bolt in repair mounts (available at most parts stores).

OR just cut the shock mounts off totally and weld on new ones.

How I would fix it:

Cut the top bolts off and remove the shocks.
(If you're fussy about safety, you can drop the gas tank to do it. I'd just throw a leather blanket or a welding tarp over it and cut in such a way that the sparks aren't directed at the tank)

Use wire and fish some new bolts into the upper shock mount holes through the crossmember.
(There's a few write ups on how to do this. It's a MUCH better option than cutting holes in the floor!)

Cut the lower shock mount stud off close to the mount. Drill out the remainder of the old stud or try punching it out.

Use bolt in repair mounts (available at most parts stores).

OR just cut the shock mounts off totally and weld on new ones.
X2 is pretty easy im sure you can do it

something like this would get you in good shape http://tal4x4.com/zone-offroad-products-suspension-shock-mount-weld-on-jeep-cherokee/j5859
this would get your top bolts fixed up worked for me, but might be a pain to get a wrench up there http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/diy-no-worries-broken-upper-rear-shock-bolt-repair-556807/

Last edited:
Cut the top bolts with a Dremel. Keep it pointed so you don't fire sparks at the gas tank, go lightly so the sparks aren't that hot. Obviously don't do this is you have an evap leak and can smell gas.

Loose bolts up there means someone's already tried to deal with the welded nut. Hope they did the smart thing and punched the old one out! PO of mine just drilled them out, now I have this nasty rusty wallowed-out nut in the way that made installing new bolts a pain.

Finally was able to change shocks! My buddy helped me cut through floors and that made it way easy. The bottom stud, we just cut it off and replaced it with 5 dollar replacement. It works great. Here are some pics!

Thanks for the help!

IMG_3303_zpsd6c354f1.jpg
IMG_8060_zps559991b3.jpg

make sure you patch those holes over, if not you'll get exhaust fumes coming up through the carpet while you're stuck in traffic. I figured that out the hard way.

Back