• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another no tail light question

cody4359

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and didnt find what i was looking for. The jeep has sat for quite a while, just got it road ready and i no longer have tail lights or rear blinkers. For some reason, i do have running lights, and dash lights, and front blinkers. Right off the bat i checked fuses, and bulbs, and the ground at the driver tail light.

Ive looked, and cant seem to find a relay for the tail lights. Im clueless when it comes to a ohms meter, but the 4 way flashers click when i put them on as well as left and right blinkers (dash/steering colum). Can a bad brake switch case no tail lights/blinkers? What else can i look for?

The brake switch provides the ground for the brake lamp elements--yes, a bad brake switch can result in no brake lights or brake lights always on.

Ive looked, and cant seem to find a relay for the tail lights....
There may be one in a 97 harness...but not on a Comanche
...Can a bad brake switch case no tail lights/blinkers? What else can i look for?
Hmmm.
the comanche

Oh, thanks for clarifying what "the Jeep" was. If you find the brake switch to be OK...look at the drivers side tail light bucket (you'll need to remove the taillight)...check the ground wire(s). Then climb underneath and check out the trailer wiring by the rear bumper (if equipped) for signs of poorly done/bad splices.

My MJ had issues with both these things. I cut out and re-did all the trailer wiring, and shined up the ground inside the taillight bucket. After I did all that all my lights came to life and all burnin' strong.

Back