• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Heating prob. Kinda

csudman

NAXJA Forum User
About two years ago I was haveing the normal XJ heating probs, Didnt like hills in the summer w/ tall tires and no gears. Went to a local shop and they put a 180 thermostat in. From that point on the neddle never went over the half way mark. I never acculay thought it was staying that cool, but what the heck. About a year ago a new problem emerged. On the interstate or under any engine strain. Hills, crawling, etc. The neddle would reach halfway and then drop to zero. Let of the gas and it would return to "normal operation" That fixed itself after summer and I forgot all about it. Well this year its back and a little worse. Sometimes it will drop to zero and take a couple minutes to return to opperation. I had the cooling system flushed, replaced the thermostat w/ another 180, good measure. And know change. I would keep it like it is but last week I was heading up to the mountians and I overheated. The gauge reached 210. That really makes me worry about how hot my engine has been for the last 2 years. Oh yeah, Its know locked and geared for 35's. So the strain isnt as great as it was. Does this sound like a guage, sensor, or anything else?

I'd look into the wiring for the temp sender, the engine ground, and the gauge supply & ground.

That sender if "open circuited" will read low/no temp probably just little more than that -- generally I'd recommend pulling it's wrre and loosening and retightening the sender before cleaning and reinstalling its connector -- then look at the ground on the back of the head since you're right there (from one of the bolts to the firewall - small woven ground strap dealie)...

Sounds to me like the coolant temp sesor wire might be loose/cut/burnt/damaged/etc... On your '92 engine it should be located on the back(firewall side) of the head block - driver's side. The cable connects to the sensor by just pushing it down.

from what i've seen on the boards you are supposed to have a 195 thermo in there. maybe that has something to do with it ???

RTicUL8 said:
Sounds to me like the coolant temp sesor wire might be loose/cut/burnt/damaged/etc... On your '92 engine it should be located on the back(firewall side) of the head block - driver's side. The cable connects to the sensor by just pushing it down.
By george I think hes got it. I looked back there and sure enought It is just sitting in the bolt. I think the part is broke in half. and the metal gauge is only getting partial contact. I;ll be heading to napa to get a new sensor.

Back