• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cylinder 4 misfire, P0204, p0304 only when hot.

Hoods Up

NAXJA Forum User
My CEL intermittently comes on after restarting the engine at operating temperature. It will then run rough at idle and will bog down if I floor it. This will continue until I park it and let it cool down all the way. It seems fine after short trips around town, but starting and stopping on prolonged trips seems to trigger it.

It's a 2001 xj classic 4.0 with 150,xxx miles on it, it's also distributorless with a spark coil bar. The codes are p0204 fuel injector circuit condition, and p0304 cylinder 4 misfire. So far I've replaced spark plugs, TPS, and have tested the injectors with an ohms meter, which checked out fine. I'm going to go out now and swap injectors and do a compression test.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Possible "Hot soak" or "Heat soak" issue.

Factory TSB NUMBER: 18-031-03, GROUP: Vehicle Performance, DATE: Sep. 05, 2003.

Yep this sounds like a textbook heat soak. I had it start last summer on my 2001. Just installed the ELK 960 timer for the electric fan. Virtually all accounts claim this to be the true fix, I will probably not be able to tell till next summer when the temps warm and the heat soak is the worst.

Good luck man I think you are $50ish in the timer and electrical connectors away from a fix!

P0204 is your clue.

You have an intermitant short or open in #2 injector trigger wire, a faulty #2 injector or faulty PCM. P0304 is a side result of P0204.

A heat soak condition as outlined in 18-031-03 does not cover P0204.

Look near the left rear of the head where the engine harness crosses over the rear left head bolt; the stud on the bolt likes to work it's way into the harness there and rub through wires. Seen that happen a half dozen times.

Well after swapping the number 4 and 5 injectors it ran fine for two weeks and then started running rough again today. Checked the codes and now its reading p0205, and p0305, so it must be the injector. I guess it would be a good time to do an injector upgrade.

P0204 is your clue.

You have an intermitant short or open in #2 injector trigger wire, a faulty #2 injector or faulty PCM. P0304 is a side result of P0204.

A heat soak condition as outlined in 18-031-03 does not cover P0204.

Look near the left rear of the head where the engine harness crosses over the rear left head bolt; the stud on the bolt likes to work it's way into the harness there and rub through wires. Seen that happen a half dozen times.
I totally missed my three typo's there... I meant #4 injector, and should have corrected intermitant (intermittent)

Good find too. Perfect way to proof your diag.

A few months ago, on my '98 XJ, the injector wire harness was rubbing against the end
of the fuel injector manifold and was intermittently shorting out the #2 injector. The
place where it had worn through was very tiny and I had not noticed it during visual
inspections. Only when I opened the harness sheath and checked the wires did I see
the exposed copper.

Back