• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep failed smog test...need help!!!!

4x4 XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help here guys.. I took the jeep for a smog check and I failed the 15mph NO PPM test.. can anyone give me any advise what its causing to fail at 15mph and not 25mph...I have a 2000 XJ sport with 201K..it has brand new plugs, and fresh mobile 1 oil....Thanks in advance.Here are the numbers
20131010_132215_zps361ac6b6.jpg
[/IMG]

What type of air filter do you have? if it is a cone type open to engine compartment air the charge air temps might be too high at low speeds. Not really a performance problem per-say, but enough of one to raise combustion temps and fail the smog test

What type of air filter do you have? if it is a cone type open to engine compartment air the charge air temps might be too high at low speeds. Not really a performance problem per-say, but enough of one to raise combustion temps and fail the smog test

Yes I have a cone filter..and that's why it failed the visual test also.. I changed to stock airbox now and see how it would run...
What do you mean about a marginal O2 sensor...

An aging O2 sensor can be lazy, or biased lean or rich.. a rich biased O2 will cause a lean condition. Get too lean and combustion temps rise, which raises NOx.

If I am not getting any codes..should I changed the two O2 sensors before the catalyst conv.???

http://www.smogsite.com/calculators.html is where people should start when they fail the smog test. Scroll down to the lambda caluculator and input your test results.

From the looks of your smog test you failed on 3 items.

Emissions, the OBDII system didn't run all the monitors, and you have some sort of modified emissions.

I put the numbers into the calculator and it is showing you are running lean, which makes sense with the high NOx readings.

First thing I would do is fix whatever caused you to fail for a modified equipment, you have to anyway or you will fail visual.

If you don't have any vacuum leaks, no broken vacuum lines, and your fuel pressure is normal, then replacing both of the upstream oxygen sensors might be a good idea. I would also suggest running some type of upper engine cleaner through before replacing the o2 sensors.

http://www.smogsite.com/calculators.html is where people should start when they fail the smog test. Scroll down to the lambda caluculator and input your test results.

From the looks of your smog test you failed on 3 items.

Emissions, the OBDII system didn't run all the monitors, and you have some sort of modified emissions.

I put the numbers into the calculator and it is showing you are running lean, which makes sense with the high NOx readings.

First thing I would do is fix whatever caused you to fail for a modified equipment, you have to anyway or you will fail visual.

If you don't have any vacuum leaks, no broken vacuum lines, and your fuel pressure is normal, then replacing both of the upstream oxygen sensors might be a good idea. I would also suggest running some type of upper engine cleaner through before replacing the o2 sensors.

Ok I will check for any vacuum leaks....

What tires/gearing do you have? If you have stock gearing with bigger tires, the engine will lug at lower rpms. Also, do the check for vacuum leaks like mentioned. Don't forget the vacuum reservoir.

What tires/gearing do you have? If you have stock gearing with bigger tires, the engine will lug at lower rpms. Also, do the check for vacuum leaks like mentioned. Don't forget the vacuum reservoir.

I am running 31" tires, with a 8.25 and stock gears @ 3.55

Stock tires will bring the engine RPM's up. It may help. Can't find my smog to see what RPM's stock was running the test at, if I do, I'll post it.

Stock tires will bring the engine RPM's up. It may help. Can't find my smog to see what RPM's stock was running the test at, if I do, I'll post it.

I will change the tires to stock and will run another test tomorrow.

Back