• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Thump

dryflakescalp

NAXJA Forum User
I could use some help with my 2000 Cherokee's front suspension. Going straight over bumps, something thumps. I think its the upper control arm banging where the coil spring rests on the front axle. I just spent the day changing the coils and shocks only to have the same problem. Would replacing the upper/lower control arms do anything to raise the body off the front axle or is there something else I should be looking into?

Thanks!

How are the control arm bushings? If they are the factory CA's they are probably toast. Also I am confused by "raise the body off the front axle".

Bad ball joints will thump thump when you go over a bump, it is usually worse when you have the wheel turned to go into a driveway.

I usually test the ball joints by jacking the tire off the ground and then prying straight up on the bottom of the tire. I use a 3-4 foot piece of 2X4, use a brick as a fulcrum and push down on the 2X4. That way I can push with one hand while squatting down with my flashlight to get a good look at the top and bottom ball joints to see how much, if any, play they have. By the time they get to the thump thump stage the excess play is usually pretty evident.

If your control-arms have johnny joints on them, thats what it might be. Mine does the same thing when I hit a bump head on and not so much in a corner. The joints come loss and have to be tightened often.

Ok, I've looked at it in the light. On the driver's side, to the left of the coil, the metal block where the track bar is connected makes contact with the axle. Besides the shock and coil, it there anything else that would prevent that contact?

I just fixed a thump in mine, yesterday. It was the sway bar to frame bushings, passenger side. No more thump in front. Now about that rear thump........:dunno:

The thump is the mount for the front track bar hitting the plate the coil spring rests on. They smack into each other over even the smallest bump in the road. Are these 2 pieces supposed to line up or is something off on my Cherokee?

Back