• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 randomly stalls out

K.Hess

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 xj w/ an ax15 and 205k on the clock, have been having a random engine shut downs. the Engine will turn itself off at (what seems to me) random, IE 70 mph down the freeway to sitting at the light. I have switched the CPS 3-4 times now and have also killed a cap and rotor (dont know if it is related)
994568_599267283429427_720776223_n.jpg

every time I change the cps I seems to last up to 500 miles before it gives up, do you think I have been getting this many bad cps's? or could it be something else?

some times when the jeep stalls out if I un plug and re plug in the cps a hand full of times it will kick back on.
I am out of ideas. any help would be appreciated. I did do a quick search and could not find these symptoms.

This has also happened during a 200 mile move...

Last edited:
What brand CPS are you using? I recommend factory mopar brand sensors for the exact reason you are describing. Sounds like it is the cause since replacing it does fix it. Does anything damage the wires after time though? No physical damage right?

I have been running whatever brand I could get at the time to replace the spare I carry.
the first one i pulled out had crispy wires from the exhaust but nothing like that since

Check grounds everywhere! You can test CPS, it should read .5 Volt A/C when cranking if I recall. I bought a "Mag-Daddy" wiring holder from a Hot Rod shop to hold that wire well away from the exhaust and it worked like a charm!

What killed the cap and rotor? Worn out distributor shaft? Fix the mechanical known issue then move on.

There was/is a mod on the Renix to directly wire the CPS to the ECU. Has it been done on yours?

Joe, I do not know anything on this mod, could you please get me a link to a write up? thanks. I do not know what took out the rotor I did not notice lateral movement off of the dis shaft, there was a little bit of vertical movement.

also where does one get a mopar cps? dealer?
Thanks,

Back