• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint and Axle Seal Question

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ, I6, AW4, 4WD
Do you torque the ball joint nuts up with the weight of the vehicle on the hub bearings or can you just torque them up with the axle on axle stands? The FSM doesn't seem to make that point clear. Also I'm replacing axle tube seals in front Dana 30 do you need to put any sealant around the rim of the seals before pressing them in to the tube? Any advice appreciated - thanks.

2001 XJ, I6, AW4, 4WD
Do you torque the ball joint nuts up with the weight of the vehicle on the hub bearings or can you just torque them up with the axle on axle stands? The FSM doesn't seem to make that point clear. Also I'm replacing axle tube seals in front Dana 30 do you need to put any sealant around the rim of the seals before pressing them in to the tube? Any advice appreciated - thanks.

Doesn't matter. From my perspective, it's easier to do in the air.

You don't have to put anything around the seals. Clean the tubes while you have it apart. Grease the seal lip. Before you put the axle in, grease the end and where the seal rides. Dry seals don't last long; either in nature or in your car ;)

-Ron

Thanks Ron - do you know if any washers fit between the knuckle and ball joint nuts before bolting up. It seems that when fitting the retaining pin the nut is too far down the thread for the pin to be effective.

Last edited:
Yes, you have to shim the nuts up with washers. Get hardened washers from your local hardware store. I'd bring the nut or the joint with so that you have a sample to guage size.

Back