• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX I4 results ...

FlyNNN

NAXJA Forum User
Thats what I ran all summer with 4 cylinders on my DD 1990 XJ, 4.0l, I6 RENIX. 25% more mileage per tank full. Didn't notice a difference except at the pump. I also didn't do it on purpose.

Getting ready for winter here so must change over to winter weight 5w-30. I then noticed my two back spark plug wires were off. I thought maybe I was on to something with the new injectors and 180 Tstat, but it was a much simpler explanation. Now I'm thinking, why don't I do this more often?

Last edited:
as long as you also disconnect the fuel injectors, you can do it. but if the fuel keeps going into the cylinders without being fired you will wash out the pistons and oil. by the way, your cat is most likely ruined if all that unburned fuel was going through the exhaust.

as long as you also disconnect the fuel injectors, you can do it. but if the fuel keeps going into the cylinders without being fired you will wash out the pistons and oil. by the way, your cat is most likely ruined if all that unburned fuel was going through the exhaust.
OK, washing the pistons of oil is not a good thing. I'm using synthetic and from time to time used slick50, so I hope that afforded me some leeway. Its not like I did this on purpose and then asked for acceptance after the fact.

Regarding the cat destruction, I'm off the hook on that one as the cat blew up on me years earlier and was replaced with a resonator. I did not notice any unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust as I have been monitoring it this summer.

Thanks 2stix for your assessment.

I'll ponder the idea of a
2cylinder/no spark/no fuel scenario (unless someone could add any other cons) for the future as the unexpected experiment yielded positive results.

Would that be hard on the Crankshaft, not having the back 2 cylinders in the power sequence or balance of the mill?

It sounds good though, I should could use a 25% increase in my 120 mile commute everyday!

Keep us posted.

So you got way better fuel mileage with two dead cylinders still pumping compression and injecting fuel? Hmmm..........

Would that be hard on the Crankshaft, not having the back 2 cylinders in the power sequence or balance of the mill? It sounds good though, I should could use a 25% increase in my 120 mile commute everyday! Keep us posted.
I don't know about the stress or the sequence. I just posted my findings. I'm glad to see that there are those that recognize the significance. They shut down cylinders on the new engines. Why not do the same on the older ones?

Maybe the two back ones are not the best choice. I have posted my results. I don't have all the answers.

When they shut down cylinders to help mileage, they also open the valves so the system isn't fighting the compression.

I find it hard to believe that the efficiency went up.

Back