• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
97' jeep Cherokee,
a4yvehat.jpg

ery3y5y8.jpg

raseqy6a.jpg

I know it's something to do with the heater core but I've determined that this is where I'm leaking water. It has the connector on the lid and the lid is bolted to something by two bolts. Just trying to get an idea as to what it is clearly and what does the wires/connector go to behind that lid

I'm more loss than ever lol
ne7etyhe.jpg

utupazu9.jpg

ena9ehe7.jpg

I'm assuming if I wanted to I could seal up the edge and I wouldn't leak any more but I would like to do a permanent fix instead of a temp. Also is this replaceable or is a junk yard the only way? Since the connector and this object itself is a bit rusty

That thing with the coils in it is your heater-fan resistor. When you change fan motor speeds on the dash, voltage is bled off into those resistors to reduce fan speed. The rust on your largest coil indicates your lowest fan speed may die soon (if not already).

Not the heater core?

Hopefully someone can confirm my diagnosis.

JG

Last edited:
BTW---if the fan fails (due to the water) it can draw a larger amp load on this circuit and then melt the wires that plug into that wire port. This can catch on fire. Worst case scenario.

Again....anyone who actually knows what they are talking should probably jump in here.....

I've checked the liquid, it's neither green more smells of coolant. It just water and some dirt/mud I'm just trying to determine where the water/mud is getting in from. Is that coil thing a replaceable pert from the auto stores?

TN is correct. That is the fan resistor pack. Just had my complete dash apart and the good news is that the resistor pack sits next to the AC coils and is nowhere near the heater core. The rust is probably forming due to the condensation build up in that area due to the AC.

If you ever find yourself with a 1 speed heater motor (high only) that is the culprit.

HTH
Todd

And NO....sealing up the edge will do nothing. Your leak is not coming from that part. That part is pure electrical. In fact, those coils heat up, and even turn red (like a stove coil).

The coils in your hands have NOTHING TO DO with the water leak. That would be the heater core. The part in your hand is simply a wet spot in a wet system.

Again....someone who knows what they are talking about should add their two cents.

Last edited:
Total guess here: Could the water be coming from the hood vents? And running down through an opening into your fan motor housing?

And NO...the part is NOT available through parts store. Jeep only. Try mymoparparts dot com. They might have it. I get a lot of parts from them.

But again...that resistor is NOT your problem....it is wet BECAUSE of your problem. DO NOT seal up that resistor. Fix the leak.
Good luck!!!!!

I've checked the liquid, it's neither green more smells of coolant. It just water and some dirt/mud I'm just trying to determine where the water/mud is getting in from. Is that coil thing a replaceable pert from the auto stores?

That pack is directly below the area where fresh air comes in from outside. It enters under the windshield wipers on the drivers side. Travels across to the passenger side and then enters a big hole into the heater/AC box which is right above that resistor pack.

Dust can get into that area pretty easily and the condensation from the AC can turn it into mud pretty quick but if you look closely at the area below where your wipers come out you will see that there is a black plastic grate attached under the louvered sections. This is supposed to act as a filter to keep leaves and dirt out but anything smaller than the holes you see will travel directly into that box.

HTH
Todd

Maybe this can help?
2avareme.jpg

yzanuju4.jpg

I've added caulk around the heater core/fan thing that sticks out in the engine bay. Did I not seal it well enough?
If its the cowl drain, where is the drain itself located? I can't see anything through the driver side since I took the cover off

btw, if you have water leaking in that area, it is probably because your drain line for the AC is clogged or simply pinched closed. You can crawl under the jeep and just push some wire through it to clear it....

AC systems always generate water which is why there is a puddle under your car when you stop. They are supposed to drain to the outside through a small hose connected through the firewall but if that gets clogged or pinched shut, it will drip in the footbox area.

easy fix, just unclog the line.

If you crawl under the jeep, look for a hose with an end on it that looks like the opening for a whoopie cushion. Basically a thin rubber end that is pinched. that is your drain.

Last edited:
And NO....sealing up the edge will do nothing. Your leak is not coming from that part.

It is lol, lid/coil thing leaks around the edge of where it bolts to the thing.
y2ajypes.jpg

The lip/edge I guess is suppose to be the seal but water is leaking through.

Ya I wouldn't be surprised that water is collecting and not burning off, I barely use the heater lol even cold

btw, if you have water leaking in that area, it is probably because your drain line for the AC is clogged or simply pinched closed. You can crawl under the jeep and just push some wire through it to clear it....

AC systems always generate water which is why there is a puddle under your car when you stop. They are supposed to drain to the outside through a small hose connected through the firewall but if that gets clogged or pinched shut, it will drip in the footbox area.

easy fix, just unclog the line.

If you crawl under the jeep, look for a hose with an end on it that looks like the opening for a whoopie cushion. Basically a thin rubber end that is pinched. that is your drain.

I was thing that could be it but I haven't a clue what it looks like. Ill look underneath, got a picture possibly? Help make identifying it easier lol

There is not supposed to be standing water in that area. There is not supposed to be a "caulked" seal around that resistor pack. No self-respecting engineer would put a resistor coil in standing water. There is an evaporator that removes water from the cooled air (because cooled air collects moisture) and a drain to drain water away from the cooling coils (look like a tiny, silver, aluminum radiator). It is likely your drain from the cooling coils.

Put it all back together. Run the car. Run the A/C. For about 10 minutes or so. Then turn it off. Then crawl under and look for where the clear, cold water is dripping out. Then trace up and attempt to unplug the line.

I have never done this. So best of luck.

Oh--that fan is for heater and A/C both. Is the fan that moves air across either the heater coil or the coiling coils and then out your vents. Even if you are only using the vent. Air is moved from the outside vents near the wipers, across the selected coil (heat or cool) and then into the car dash vents....OR the air is pulled from the car interior and run in a recirculating loop over the coils.

If the AC is on (heater off), a little flap seals off the heater core (at least that is how it works on some cars). The air runs across the cooling coils all the time....but they are only cold if the compressor is turned on. And heat only enters the system if the flap opens or closes.

Or something like that. Again....someone who knows what they are talking about can clarify.

Is this the drain outlet?
bu6u6uva.jpg

Where the light is shining the most, is that it? Because there is no hose lol if it is, who ever owned this jeep before me is dumb if the took it out lol

That is the right spot but there is usually a rubber hose with a 90 degree elbow that connects to that and hangs down by the frame. It is that end that has the "whoopie cushion" end on it to keep crap from getting in. Looks like that piece is missing which could explain why it is getting clogged. I used a soft piece of wire (think speaker wire) to ensure I didn't damage the evaporator coils and gently pushed it through until the clog released. Hope this works for you.

Is this the drain outlet?
bu6u6uva.jpg

Where the light is shining the most, is that it? Because there is no hose lol if it is, who ever owned this jeep before me is dumb if the took it out lol

The drain hose will be pointed at the frame rail and the water will run on the rail and drip off.Bad design....

That is the right spot but there is usually a rubber hose with a 90 degree elbow that connects to that and hangs down by the frame. It is that end that has the "whoopie cushion" end on it to keep crap from getting in. Looks like that piece is missing which could explain why it is getting clogged. I used a soft piece of wire (think speaker wire) to ensure I didn't damage the evaporator coils and gently pushed it through until the clog released. Hope this works for you.

Wish I had know about the evap coils.... Lol I just used wire and such and pushed it in and out vigorously(hahaha) we'll see how it does now, guess I'm going to the junk yard to see if I can find the piece

Back