• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel "ticking"??

airman401

NAXJA Forum User
Since I got my XJ about 6 months ago the front passanger wheel has been "ticking" with each rotation. By ticking I mean tap the side of a coin on your dinner table type sound.

I have checked for rocks and debris and not found anything. I don't think its a bearing since its a distinct tick, not a hum.

Has anyone had this issue and diagnosed it? Any ideas?

Thanks!

emu7y7y3.jpg

Try jacking up the suspect wheel, then rotate by hand while listening. Might need a second pair of hands.

If you can't hear it, try using a 3' section of hose/vinyl tubing, one end in your ear and move the other end around the wheel center/hub/axle u-joint.

You know, my old pontiac had that same noise (just how you described it!) for many years when I was younger and my brother (the mechanic of the family at the time) could not figure it out. It stayed that way for a long time. Later on when I was older and got possession of the car, I took apart the rear end to clean or something and found that the axle shaft was worn down where the bearing is pressed on. Now this wasn't a bearing that actually rides on the axle shaft, but rather a bearing with it's own race, and the axle shaft was worn beneath that! I'm not sure what rear end you have, but I believe the Jeep axles have a similar configuration, a bearing pressed onto the shaft. I know my D44 is like that, but don't have experience with D35 or others.

Anyhow, I would check that portion out, your rear axle and bearings, brakes etc.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to mention that we spent alot of time looking at the front wheel of my Pontiac because we swore that's where we heard it from. Turned out that it was coming from the rear.

Back