• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 fluid change

reptile610

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 xj has 232k on it. Just bought it about a month ago amd I was debating on dropping the pan and changing the filter and refilling what was in the pan.. fluid is still red but kinda dark. Is it safe? Or is the trans too far gone?

the aw4 is a tank, unless it's severely overheated you can't really wear it out... there are folks around here with 300k+ on them. if there is still some red left to the fluid i would just drop the pan swap the filter and refill it. what you should worry about is fluid that either looks yellowish or dark brown like used motor oil. other than that you should be fine.

OP, from an operational standpoint, what is you4 AW4 doing that makes you think that it may be too far gone?

It acts fine. Kinda shifts a little hard out of park. I was just always told if it's never been changed don't change it. I've heard stories of people changing the fluid and the new fluid eats it up

It acts fine. Kinda shifts a little hard out of park. I was just always told if it's never been changed don't change it. I've heard stories of people changing the fluid and the new fluid eats it up

Does it clunk when you shift to drive? I'm pretty sure that's just an XJ thing. It helps if you let it sit in nuetral for a second between reverse and drive.

My fluid was original and brown when I changed it at 90K a few years ago. Put in a new filter and did 5 drain and fills over the course of a few months until the fluid was pink.

It's been pink for the last 30k with no issues.

Back