• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft Compatibility

shortbussrydah

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 96 2 door 4.0 aw4 with a dana 35 rear. If i were to go looking in the junkyard for a new rear driveshaft, what years are compatible with my rig?

obviously i'll need a 4x4 model but is there a difference in driveshaft between the np231 and the np 242 transfer case? how about different rear axles (8.25 namely)?

Thanks!

Any 1996-01 AW-4 + D35 equipped donor will have a rear driveshaft that will fit any 1996-01 equipped the same. D35 and Chry 8.25 drive shafts are different lengths. The 231 and 242 are the same overall length.

Wrecking Yard Caution!!!!

Here is something to keep in mind: Wrecking yards typically move vehicles around with a loader equipped with large forks. Because XJ's have low hanging drivelines, the forks often lift the vehicle by the rear driveline. Check the part for lift marks. Usually very visible scarring on the shaft. This abuse will most certainly bend the shaft out of true and cause balance and vibration problems. Just a caution and a tip to look for good ones.

BTW, I was under a 96 yesterday with exactly what you were looking for. Which is what I was looking for as a spare. But passed on it for this reason.

Also to note, I had my original very nicely re-jointed and balanced for $160. Might be a bit high, but not out of the question for me. And I know it comes out right. I avoid rejointing on my own bench when possible. I don't have the proper tools to get the old stuff apart without messing up the yokes. Been down that road before.

Back