• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter question...lock-up

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
How can I tell if my torque converter is locking up...or not. I think I have a wiring problem after my AW4 swap. Was working fine...now it feels like I'm hauling an anvil behind me.

I've read the Everything You Wanted to Know thread so I don't need a link to that.

Thanks.

No tach, I presume. Did you install the TCC switch when you did the swap? It cuts the converter off when the brake pedal is depressed.

Can't post a photo. PM me for one if you like.

TCC switch I assume is on the brake pedal. I used the Renix brake pedal switch, so no. I do have a tach.

PM coming.

You can always install a TC lock-up switch. Not only allows you to lock it up whenever you want. But would confirm if the rpm drop is occuring normally. The brake switch is one of the common causes of failing TC lock up.

You should be able to fell it shift into each gear and then once into 4th/OD you should have 1 more RPM drop for the TC lock. When are you getting the 'anvil' feeling? It may be upshifting too early or locking up the TC too early which may indicate a solenoid issue and certainly make it feel as though you are heavy.

Back