• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter Theft?

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone experienced or worried about this? I was going to weld a chain onto it and around the crossmember. Do you think I'm worrying about nothing or will it cause me some sort of trouble down the road?

It was done to my friends tacoma and his latest tundra. Freaking thieves, (lol) Insurance payed out 1400 - 1700. Cut him the check right there on the spot. I personally would not weld it back on there.

Muff shop fixed it up for 1/5 of that price. (Rods mufflers, South OC, Ca.)

It's gonna rattle like a bastard and probably snag on things offroad.

Tack weld the nuts/bolts at the flange (if you have a 95/earlier with the 4 bolt flange at the cat) and stop worrying about it. If they can cut a cat out of an XJ, they can cut a chain too.

Well, I don't have comprehensive insurance, so they aren't going to pay anything if it gets stolen. I don't go off road at all really. I know the chain won't stop theft, it's just more of a deterrent so maybe they will move on to something else easier. Ok Hmm, something to think about...

Best solution is a good alarm system with a host of sensors. Proximity, shock, and tilt sensors will keep people from coming close to your rig, let alone crawl underneath and monkey with your exhaust.

I didn't think out cats had enough platinum to be worth stealing.

I found a site claiming that a catalytic converter can carry b/t 3-7 ounces of platinum per converter. According to this site(wired.com), platinum is going at a rate of 2075 dollars per oz. This means you would at least have 6225 and up to 14 and a half thousand dollars if you could harvest the platinum purely. The next question is how do you get the platinum in a catalytic converter out of it to get this reward. Stolen catty's go for 200, but I'd rather not go that route. The site also mentione other metals involved in the production of converters such as rhodium and palladium are going for 445 and 7300 an ounce. I might have to recant on that whole not theiving idea.== Answer ==
There are usually about 3 grams of platinum in a catalytic converter. There are 31.1 grams in an ounce. Platinum is at $2000/ounce so you can figure right at $200 worth. Please note manufacturers are starting to use other materials so you may have very little, if any, platinum.

There are 28 grams per ounce not 31.1.
This is a COPY & PASTE by the way
HTH

Buy one of the bellypans out there that covers the front parts of the cat. That'll stop somebody from cutting it off quickly AND you'll now have great protection when on the trails.

;)

I would bet on 3-7 grams of platinum, 3-7 ounces is a hell of a lot. I don't think the ceramic matrix out of a jeep catcon even weighs that much whole and it's 95% (at least) ceramic.

He found a site -> it had bad information -> correct information was given.

That bad info is relevant however since it could influence less intelligent people to steal converters. If you didn't live in California the best solution would be to swap the thing out for some strait pipe and collect the cash, though our small converters are probably only worth $100 tops. Actually maybe you shouldn't worry about it and then if it does get stolen you can put in a new one and take care of some maintenance and get a little power back with an upgrade?

That bad info is relevant however since it could influence less intelligent people to steal converters. If you didn't live in California the best solution would be to swap the thing out for some strait pipe and collect the cash, though our small converters are probably only worth $100 tops. Actually maybe you shouldn't worry about it and then if it does get stolen you can put in a new one and take care of some maintenance and get a little power back with an upgrade?

Well, it is new. That's kinda why I was worrying about it. ;)

I decided to just do it. I can always cut the chain off if I need to. I wrapped it tight so that it doesn't hang down any lower than anything else. It's also wrapped in heat shrink (un shrunk) tubing so that it doesn't clank or rattle on the crossmember.

Nnngnnngggg...

Except, it's a Federal regulation that you have to have a catalytic converter, if the vehicle left the factory with one.

So, you can end up getting an EPA cite if the cop decides to make an a** of himself, and EPA cites are nasty (they're as bad as FCC cites - if not worse. It's not just a California thing; and if a cop decides to look at the underbelly of your rig, he can. And he can issue the cite. And, if he does, it will hurt.

By EPA regs, you must keep all OEM emissions control devices, no matter how stupid they are (and some of them head far toward stupid. The big problem? Every emissions device controls one sort of emission and the expense of the others, which makes bloody everything a balancing act now.)

Frankly, I'd rather be able to strip everything off except PCV/CCV & EVAP, retune the engine properly, strip the adulterants out of my fuel, and do it right.

But, that's a violation of the regs we're saddled with. Generally written by people who have no idea what they're trying to regulate!

It was done to my friends tacoma and his latest tundra. Freaking thieves, (lol) Insurance payed out 1400 - 1700.

For that payout I hope someone steals mine.

Back