• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Troublshooting Steering issues

Markm80521

NAXJA Forum User
I've got 4.5 inches of lift and a adjustable track bar. I seem to continue getting slop up front where I can feel it in my floor board as a slight clunking. I have put in a rebuilt steering box and power steering pump as they both needed to be replaced and it felt great for a couple of weeks but now it's back. I have also replaced ball joints and hubs. All joints were replaced when I installed the lift 8 months ago and I have had the joint at the end of the opposite end of the pitman arm fail twice now.

Is there any methods that anyone can suggest as far as troubleshooting steering/ joints? Could it be the angle at the pitman arm?

Thanks for the advice!

Look at the frame end track-bar mount (since it relies on the "uni-frame" holding it's shape - it's not too uncommon to see that loosen...

... for general diagnostics - I suppliment the usual "pry bar" testing by getting under the thing - engine running and weight on the wheels then having a helper work the wheel through the "sloppy" area while I feel for play.

(there's also some value in visitinng a front-end guy with specific knowledge on the lifted XJ --- try Marlen's Tire up there on 287 near Rasta Pasta)

Second the frame end track-bar mount. Mine kept loosening up, so I had it welded. I was amazed at the difference on the road, and it's held up through some pretty serious wheelin'

I would check that trac bar mount as well. But have you checked out the tie rod ends? I just had some of the same issues with mine, changed them out this weekend. 2 hour ride back home last night and it was as good as new. If you grab the drag link and it can move back and forth, time to replace it. You can also look into a steering box brace, there is good and bad points about doing this as some people have caused more harm than good using it. Something to think about. Juice

I see you have an '88. What are you running for lower control arms? If they are the originals, I can attest that when the rubber bushings get old and tired, they will make a wide variety of scary sounding noises. You can't see anything wrong with them, but replacing just the driver's side cured a lot of strange clunks on my '87 MJ.

Thanks for all of the response, I forgot I turned of notification of posts so I just realized that people were posting.

The lower control arms are teraflex

The track bar is tight.

I have had a problem with the joint opposite of the pitman arm. I have a feeling that it could be that joint again. Could I have too severe of an angle on the one at the Pitman Arm? Is that possible? Do they make Pitman arms that are extended?

Back