• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil on aluminum valve coer 4.0

cruiser54

NAXJA Forum User
We all get tired of the oil film/leak on top of our 4.0 Jeep aluminum valve covers. Many times the biggest culprit is the loose fitting oil filler cap. Here’s a real easy fix:
Remove the plastic oil filler cap and wrestle the original rubber gasket from it using a small pick or screwdriver.
Make a duplicate of the gasket out of an old bicycle inner tube using scissors and a knife or razor blade.
Install the duplicate on the cap first, and then the original over top of it.
It will be a tight fit on the valve cover the first time, and may require some persuasion with a pair of pliers, but will get easier with time.

We all get tired of the oil film/leak on top of our 4.0 Jeep aluminum valve covers. Many times the biggest culprit is the loose fitting oil filler cap. Here’s a real easy fix:
Remove the plastic oil filler cap and wrestle the original rubber gasket from it using a small pick or screwdriver.
Make a duplicate of the gasket out of an old bicycle inner tube using scissors and a knife or razor blade.
It will be a tight fit on the valve cover the first time, and may require some persuasion with a pair of pliers, but will get easier with time.

Good idea!

It is also helpful to replace the CCV grommets every 100k miles or so.

I did this about three years ago and haven't been able to keep air in my bike tire ever since.:gee:

I did this about three years ago and haven't been able to keep air in my bike tire ever since.:gee:
LOL! I had to read your post MORE THAN ONCE to get your point.

That is what I get for going to Modesto!

What were you doing in Kommiefornia?

Hauled 175 salted beef hides down for processing into export goods to the PRC.

In-laws run a custom farm slaughter business.

They allow those in PRK?

I'm still surprised they haven't been shut down.

Hard to imagine any manufacturing/processing functions being able to operate in that regulatory hell.

Back