• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head gasket or motor swap

lsc910

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for opinion on the subject. I have a 93 cherokee with 304000 on the original motor. It has blow by and the head gasket just took a crap. What does everyone think i should do. Im looking at around 300 for checking the head out and parts and around 450/500 for a used motor from a yard. I've alot owork to te jeep in replacing floor pans and such along with putting a 5.5 lift unde it. I plan on keeping it but money i tiht and I'd like to get best bang for the buck. money i a littl tight for me but what eer I do Id like to last a while. Has any one had luck with just a head gasket at that high of mileage or have you just bit the bullet and swapped another motor in it. Thanks for your time.

At 304k if you go into the engine go ALL THE WAY--full tear down and rebuild, new oil pump, new WP, bored, pistons, etc., etc., etc.

For me, I would pop a recycled engine in there, and if there is no block core charge keep the old engine for a possible rebuild down the road if storage isn't a problem.

these motors are not cheap to rebuild. but it sounds like you are in for one. i'm not too familiar with the 93s but if i cannot get my 89 (renix) to run decent, i am seriously contemplating a different engine swap entirely. meaning an LS or something. not sure what emissions regulations are like in New Jersey, but here in california they are strict and i am still considering it. with all the work you have done to your jeep it is something to consider anyway.

Back