• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nss bypass

never mind, but it s for a 99 xj that won't start. I just broke it off and kind of just fell apart. Didn't look that bad inside.

13+-+1

now how do i get the rest of it out, lol

I'm really not in the mood to search right now, but if the pins are still adjacent on the connector in 99 like they are in my 95(mine was on the passenger side around the transmission dipstick), I used an insulated female spade connector just slipped on the pins. Fit tight enough and worked for years.

Last edited:
13+-+1

am i ever gonna get this thing off?! any suggestions? I am beyond frustration its been close to a week now. the other night i had some play now nothing!

PB Blaster, patience. I wouldn't use a torch there, you'd melt the cross-shaft seal.
Could use a dremel to put a slit in it, should come right off after that. Might have to take a flat head screw driver & tap it around.

you cannot bypass the NSS in the late models, it will throw a CEL and cause the trans to not shift correctly.

The NSS is NOT just a "neutral safety switch".

It is a "sensor" that feeds the TCU with data on the PHYSICAL position of the shifter.

Bypassing the NSS so the vehicle will start is one thing. Attempting to drive the vehicle with a missing or destroyed NSS is a horse of a different color.

I ve gave up on the idea of bypassing it, i already got a new one, I just wanna put it on the jeep but cant cause old one is stubborn as f***!

finally is off! hasta
Now i'm kind of tired so tomorrow i'll install. Is there a trick on how to put back on? I kind of can't get it lined up right

Thanks for suggestions!

The saga continues! Got nss installed started right up when I go back up jeep it won't move forward or backwards. I recently did front brakes. What should I look at? I raised front tires they won't move.

Sounds like incorrect rotors. The "hat" depth changes from year to year, make sure you got the correct rotors for your Jeep.

Thanks guys I almost went and got calipers thinking that was the problem rotors were wrong size due to mid year change. Now jeep is running and moving now gott bring it to get some gas and an inspection.

Back