• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

c8.25 to XJ d44 swap - brake fitting questions

dubbleJ's

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, Im just in the middle of swapping in a xj dana44 into my '98 XJ. I had the c8.25 before and the brake junction bolt is much bigger than the brake bolt needed for the d44. I know the breather fitting is also in a different location on the d44 but that should be fine as I am also installing an RE steel braided line with I am at this.

My question is can I just use any 1/4" thread shank bolt to hold down the block on the brake junction or does it need to be a special bolt with a hole in it?

As you can see in the pics, the c8.25 bolt is about 3/8" bolt shank, and the hole on the d44 is about 1/4".

The dana44, you can see the new steel braided line I am also installing now, but not sure if using a tiny 1/4" shank bolt through that big hole will be ok..?
d44brakes_zps04d2e261.jpg

The c8.25 with the bigger bolt and breather integrated into it:
c825brakes_zps522cc5d6.jpg

I also need to run all new hard lines as the 8.25 ones were junk and seized at the drum. Im guessing I will just measure them out and a parts store can supply them with the ends fitted on the lines?

XJ D44 and that axle in the picture have a separate vent tube. You can bolt down the junction block with whatever works. Auto parts stores have generic brake lines that are flared and have fittings installed. Bring along an old fitting to match up. Or, teach yourself how to flare brake lines.

Last edited:
For brakes -

I just buy 3/16" 6' hardlines from advanced auto for like $8, and then the 3/8"-24 flare fittings for like $4 for 5 of them.

Just bend the tube with your fingers and then flare it yourself. It's super simple and cheap and easy.

If the 44 is out of the XJ,tap and plug the breather hole, drill & tap for the intergrated breather/hold down bolt,clean axle tube of all the metal bits. Bend new lines and enjoy...
Also you may want to shorten the bottom of the breather bolt,helps keep lube from blowing out.

If the 44 is out of the XJ,tap and plug the breather hole, drill & tap for the intergrated breather/hold down bolt,clean axle tube of all the metal bits. Bend new lines and enjoy...
Also you may want to shorten the bottom of the breather bolt,helps keep lube from blowing out.

That is what I did wit the one under my XJ.

That plastic fitting for the breather hose is just pushed in. It do not have threads in it. The smaller hole/s closer to the outside ( I think they are metric sizes) are for the brake hard line hold down bracket. I drilled and tapped the hole were the original vent was and used the vent fitting from the C8.25 axle. I reused the original D44 hold down brackets and hard lines. Just make it up/customize it as you go along.

Do not forget to clean the metal particles from the axle tube when finished.

Ok right on, thanks guys!

I am going to go hit the parts store for hard brake lines now.

As for tapping and drilling a new hole and re-using the 8.25 bolt/breather I may go that route but not yet as I am running out of time preparing for a MOAB trip next week (oh and I always have bad luck getting threads tapped nicely). How were you guys going about cleaning the metal shavings out of the tube? pull the axle shaft and blow it out from inside the pumpkin?

Also If I use a 1/4" shank bolt to hold the brake junction block down it should be ok right? Only problem I see if that the block may get bumped around as the bolt will not fill the larger hole off of the stainless line's block...

I am writing this off memory. I believe the hole for the plastic vent fitting is sized well enough to cut threads for the breather bolt from the 8.25". If memory serves, I used a 7/16-20 tap. The drill size size required is 25/64", the decimal equivalent is .391". Anyone can validate the size of the hole in the axle tube for the plastic breather. Anyone can put the breather/bolt against a thread pitch gauge.

Since the breather/bolt has machine threads, and I cut machine threads in the axle tube, I used a sealer to keep oil in the axle. I plan to use the extra hole for a bracket to hold the hard line in place.

Cutting threads in the axle tube: An old-timey trick is to pack grease in the flutes of the tap. The grease should trap the chips as you cut the threads. I'm not old-timey, I pulled the shaft and put an oily rag in the tube to trap anything the grease did not catch.

If your axle tube has any lube inside, trying to blow the chips out would be a waste of time.

HTH

Checked the vent tube(extra) bolt> 7/16x20 threads, IIRC the hole for the plastic vent fitting was 1/4" and I tapped that either 1/4 x20 or 28

Back