• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I change my oil?

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep has been sitting for 6 years and I'm ready to start it up again. The current oil probably has 5 miles on it but sat with the car for 6 years. It's still super clean looking when I check it on the dipstick. I'm going to have to take it in for smog soon. What do you think, do I need to change my oil?

I would but only after I've let run to make sure there are no other immediate problems from it sitting for so long that may require draining the oil for repair, such as oil leaks from seal deterioration.

Oil is cheap. I would change it first and if you end up having to drain it again oh well. Also make sure you run it off fresh gas or you're likely to gum up your injectors and create even more of a headache for yourself.

Where do you live?? Kuwait??

You can get 6 quarts of quality oil and a new filter for under $20, to me thats cheap insurance.

Another thing you might want to do if you haven't fired it yet is pull your spark plugs and put a small amount of Marvel or plain motor oil into your cylinders, reinstall the plugs, and let it sit for a few days to lube up your rings and help free any that may be stuck. Disconnect the coil and crank it a few times to prime the engine and blow the oil out of the cylinders and you're golden.

Well, I went and left the oil in and took it into smog and it passed with flying colors!! Woo hoo Renix FTW. LOL. Here are the numbers:
15mph - HC max 93 - HC ave 42 - HC mea 37 : CO max .89 - CO ave .15 - CO mea .03 : NO max 763 - NO ave 354 - NO mea 180
25mph - HC max 104 - HC ave 32 - HC mea 18 : CO max 1.12 - CO ave .17 - CO mea .01 : NO max 791 - NO ave 325 - NO mea 652

Everything looks great except that last NO measurement. Still allowable, but seems high. I installed a new EGR valve too.

Well, I went and left the oil in and took it into smog and it passed with flying colors!! Woo hoo Renix FTW. LOL. Here are the numbers:
15mph - HC max 93 - HC ave 42 - HC mea 37 : CO max .89 - CO ave .15 - CO mea .03 : NO max 763 - NO ave 354 - NO mea 180
25mph - HC max 104 - HC ave 32 - HC mea 18 : CO max 1.12 - CO ave .17 - CO mea .01 : NO max 791 - NO ave 325 - NO mea 652

Everything looks great except that last NO measurement. Still allowable, but seems high. I installed a new EGR valve too.

Gotta love it!!

Click on the link below for some tips on your old Renix.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

Since it's been sitting for a while, I'd suggest doing #1, 3, and 4 first chance you get. it'll take you all of an hour and const $0 to $20, depending on if you add grounds.

Since it's been sitting for a while, I'd suggest doing #1, 3, and 4 first chance you get. it'll take you all of an hour and const $0 to $20, depending on if you add grounds.

Yea I did rebuild the engine harness replacing broken connectors, re-jacketing, re-securing, strain-relief-ing and also applied conductive corrosion inhibitor to the contacts on the C101 connector being careful not to cross connect any circuits with the goop. I did clean the grounds, but didn't add any as this was so long ago, I didn't think to do it probably. I will have to check out the ICU as well.

Back