• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle body Leak

frontman

NAXJA Forum User
So I have two codes showing... Major/Minor evap leak. I looked at all the lines, check fuel pump gaskets Changed gas cap still codes. Took to get a smoke check and apparently My valve cover and throttle body are leaking severely. A new valve cover gasket and PCV valve should take care of that. But for the life of me I cant find an New OEM or rebuilt TB. I really dont want to go after market if I absolutely dont have to. Anyone know of a repair kit.. Repair for the TB by chance?

98 4.0 178000 np231 Thanx

CCV system--no PCV valve.

While your CCV system would benefit from servicing, I'm not sure that the major/minor evap code would be coming from the TB.

Evap system is from the fuel tank roll-over valve, then the evap line to the canister, then to the purge solenoid, then into the intake--not sure on your 98 where that line attaches exactly, but you can run your hand along there and figure it out.

I have seen a new gas cap fix evap codes.

Always post up the actual DTC numbers when you can.

Unless the Throttle Body has bullet hole in it, I doubt it is leaking. There really isn't anything to repair/rebuild. If there truly is a defect or damage to the Throttle Body, a used one would be a reasonable and effective repair.

I suggest you find a more skilled and capable shop to work on your Jeep.

I suggest you find a more skilled and capable shop to work on your Jeep.

agreed^^

I would look at a leaking purge solenoid-- it'd give you a code and it would allow the smoke check to bypass into the intake if it were stuck partially or completely open.

Evap system is from the fuel tank roll-over valve, then the evap line to the canister, then to the purge solenoid, then into the intake--not sure on your 98 where that line attaches exactly, but you can run your hand along there and figure it out.

I have seen a new gas cap fix evap codes.

Me too

The two rollover valves on the top of the fuel tank each have a plastic nipple with it's own hose that T together to one hose to the metal line along the bottom of the DS firewall. Then back to a short rubber hose to the EVAP.

The fumes from the tank then get sucked back in to burn up. If you can "smell" fuel, it might mean the tank/hose/EVAP connection is compromised and worth looking at.

It's the small hose on the canister. The fat hose goes from the canister/purge to the intake

Back