• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc brake rotor temps

jstaples

NAXJA Forum User
My front disc brakes on my 1996 Jeep Cherokee overheated (non-ABS, front disc, rear drum) to the point where smoke was coming from the right front wheel well. I changed the calipers, master cylinder, and proportioning valve. Also planned to change the brake hoses but couldn't get the flare nuts loose, even with a flare nut wrench and PB Blaster. After a test drive, I measured the temp of the front rotors with an IR thermometer. Both were about 190F. Seems a little high to me. Anyone know what would be considered a normal temp? I plan to put on new rotors and pads but I'm afraid I'll damage $250 Hawk rotors and pads.

I bled the entire system, including a bench bleed of the master cylinder.

I was a little concerned about the temps because similar readings on my BMW were only 100F. But I suspected the normal temps for the BMW would be lower (better brakes, better ventilation).

The brakes feel ok. So if the brakes aren't overheating, I'll put on the new rotors and pads.

Back