• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine starts, then shuts off after a few seconds

sm.mcnair

NAXJA Forum User
having trouble with my 2001 4.0L XJ, if it sits for a while (10+ hours it seems), it will start and shut off after 2-5 seconds, unless I cycle off/on while letting the fuel pump come up and stop each time, usually 6-10 times. then it will start up and run normally, and will give me normal starts the rest of the day.

is this likely my check valve/ fuel pump assembly?

having trouble with my 2001 4.0L XJ, if it sits for a while (10+ hours it seems), it will start and shut off after 2-5 seconds, unless I cycle off/on while letting the fuel pump come up and stop each time, usually 6-10 times. then it will start up and run normally, and will give me normal starts the rest of the day.

is this likely my check valve/ fuel pump assembly?

Yes.

But also could be a leak... check for rusted line or loose fitting, although, there is usually a complaint of a fuel smell too.

found a hose disconnected under the hood....looks like a hard line running from behind the engine (near the firewall) over to a soft line that runs to the leak detection pump. I can't find anything to confirm that I reconnected them correctly...is it just a straigh connection from the hardline to the LDP?

Back