• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking to buy a '00 classic

xj_chef

NAXJA Forum User
i've had many XJ's I currently own a '93 4.0L,auto 4x4,sport with 300,xxx miles.
looking to buy a '00 classic in auto, 2wd format.
what should i look for?
thanks.

Any particular reason that you are looking for a 2000?

Don't rule out the 98-99; great years for the XJ and they don't have the infamous 0331 cylinder head as the 00-01 has.

the 2000 is a good price. it is also 2wd. i'm looking to get out of the 4wd game.
i put neon injectors in my 93, full exhaust, k&N filter, bored TB.
what mods do i need to do to the '00?
what is the 0331 cylinder head?
thanks

There are lots of threads on the 0331 cylinder head, which is what each and every 00-01 came with from the factory. Search is your friend. Educate yourself about it before turning the key on an 00-01.

Not trying to talk you out of it as not all of these 0331 cylinder heads will crack. But plenty of them do; this and other XJ forums are littered with threads on this problem. And if not caught early, it will trash the engine.

If you do buy an 00-01, your new hobby is to be religious about checking the level on the coolant reservoir at least weekly as "unexplained coolant loss" is a primary symptom of a cracked 0331 head.

Good luck in your decision making!

Last edited:
when you test drive it, get it warmed up good, pop the oil fill cap right off before it has the chance to cool. shine a flash light down the hole and look for green, or milk if the owner has been using just water (if that's the case better start walking). I found mine in the nick of time, they crack between the 3/4 cylinder split, which just so happens to be right below the oil fill. I used to check after every trip. When I saw green I parked it and started looking for a new head ... ended up with one from a '93. That was 100,000 kms (~62,500 miles) ago

got the head issue. i can take the head off my '93 when i scrap that xj.
anything else i should look for? i'm headed over to look at it today.
thanks ya'll, been a big help so far.

keep the head, exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe to the Cat, you'll thank me later. That was the hardest part of my swap as the exhaust manifold and down pipe were needed. I also used the valve cover from the 93 since they just look nicer.
Of course I didn't know to grab them when I pulled the parts, so I'll save you the headache. Play it up on the head issue if it's cracked ... might as well get it cheap as possible.

Back