• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP 8.25-D35

Im finally changing my diff fluid today. I THOUGHT I have an 8.25 by the FLAT bottom of the housing but there are two tags attached that say otherwise. One says 35 and the other says 3145. This is my first time doing this in a long time. Ive got the cover off in the garage right now. Not that it really makes a difference at this point......

96 XJ, HO, 0330 head, AW4.

there will be no tags to ident the axle model.

look close; the small, single hole tag that says 35 is actually 3.5... which is your gear ratio. 3.55:1

look closer at the other tag, which should be a two hole tag, and you will find that there are more numbers which is the axle part number, or that part of the tag is missing.

When in doubt, check the snout:

Note the "rhino" horn over the pinion seal area.

Alright, thanks for that tid-bit Sir! Now for my next question. When I get in the grass and stomp on the skinny pedal, both wheels spin however, the gears on the inside look like every picture of an open diff Ive managed to find. It doesnt have that squared soup can look but instead, its opened up???? I cant post a pic because im on my phone right now.

they were manufacturing matching marks. So the ring doesn't get separated from it's pinion... it's a matched set.

Oh, you have a 8.25, not a turdy 5.

To check for a LSD is simple unless it is completely trashed; while the tires are off the ground and trans in park, e brake off, turn one tire by hand. if the other side turns the opposite direction, you have an open diff.

If you can't turn it, take it out of park and try again.. if it turns the same direction, you have an LSD.

The spin in the grass thing only means that both tires had the same traction and received equal torque.
To test a LSD in this manner you have to have one tire on a surface with more traction.

Like starting off with one tire off the shoulder of the road... an open diff will spin the tire in the gravel.... an LSD will minimize that spin, and if it's in really good shape, will chirp or spin the tire on the pavement.

Oh, you have a 8.25, not a turdy 5.

To check for a LSD is simple unless it is completely trashed; while the tires are off the ground and trans in park, e brake off, turn one tire by hand. if the other side turns the opposite direction, you have an open diff.

If you can't turn it, take it out of park and try again.. if it turns the same direction, you have an LSD.

I have now confirmed that I have an open diff, 8.25. That being said, I filled it up and took it for a spin. Ive never thought to touch my diff cover after a ride but anyway, it was hot to the touch. Using my trusty hand-O-meter. It wasn't so hot that I couldn't keep my hand on it, but it was plenty hot. Normal???

Last edited:
Back