• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch issue . . . but not the usual issue.

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
I've read a dozen writeups on adjusting the actuator rod to fix a stuck hatch, and was just working on that project on my '99 when another issue entered my consciousness. The handle on my hatch has been loose the entire five years or so that I've had my rig. Looking at it from the outside, it wiggles mostly on the left side. When I lift the handle to open the hatch, the entire mechanism moves, as if not tightly secured to the "body" of the hatch. I figured that with the interior panel removed, and while working on adjusting the rod, this would be a good time to tighten up whatever's loose.

The issue is that I cannot see a nut or anything else securing the handle mechanism to the hatch on the left side. There is a nut plainly visible and easily accessible on the right side, but the left side is more complicated because oft the lock cylinder and other components. I cannot see a threaded ring around the lock cylinder that I can tighten, though there must be one. The issue really is one of limited visibility. I just can't see the mechanism well enough to figure out what's loose and how to tighten it. And I've been unable to find any diagram online for guidance.

Can someone post a link to a good diagram of the handle and lock assembly? Or offer some advice? Any help would be appreciated.

The handle assembly only has one stud/bolt, the one you see. The other side is a slot that fits the sheet metal opening. You can shim it in place, leave it as is, or use some type of epoxy or RTV silicone. The stud is only anchored into the plastic of the handle, so go easy on the torque.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back