• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Felt Retainers

cm12385

NAXJA Forum User
1994 XJ 4.0 4-Door

Replaced the window felts on the outside of all fours because they were badly dry-rotted. However, the clips that hold the trim pieces that retain felts, to the door have broken.

So when I roll the window up the whole retainer/felt piece pops up and on another window it tucks in when I roll it down, allowing the felt to roll over and jam up the window.

I have not been able to find new retainers or the clips for them from the usual sources.

Any idea where I can find these?

Chris

I re-attched a loose one using some silicone glue. Put a dollop at the top of the channel at it's holding good so far. But it's silicon glue, not caulking. Used the GE brand from Ace hardware.

I re-attched a loose one using some silicone glue. Put a dollop at the top of the channel at it's holding good so far. But it's silicon glue, not caulking. Used the GE brand from Ace hardware.

This usually does the trick.

You can also check at most auto glass shops--they usually have clips available or can order them for you.

Do you have a picture of the clips? I recently switched to the 97+ window seals and felt and removed the old seals etc. You can have anything if you want to ship it.

Where did you order the felt seals from? They fit well?
I (attempted) replacing mine with a set from quadratec, but they don't fit right.
The factory seal is relatively firm rubber, but at an obtuse angle (the part that touches the glass is partially vertical, not perpendicular to the glass)
The new ones have a 90* angle; vertical where it clips into the door, then the seal part is horizontal, perpendicular to the glass. So they are super tight against the glass and make it hard to roll up/down the window and try to pull out on the way up, or get sucked into the door on the way down... WTF.

jackmb,

I also bought mine from Quadratec and have problems similar to those you describe, in addition to my broken clips/retainers.

Chris

Back