• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help....evaporator bad and need proceedure to remove dash

vryder64

NAXJA Forum User
Hello im new here and im desperate. I just changed all a/c components under my hood and now find out i cracked the evaporator core when unhooking old lines. I have a friend who is a lifetime mechanic and im looking for the easier way to get to airbox to remove evaporator. Local shop wants $1100.00 to replace. Help !!! Does anyone here have a better way? Im handicapped and need to get this jeep running because I can't do a new car.

IIRC there is no "easy" way to access the evaporator. you've gotta take off the whole dash unfortunately... when I found that out I just said **** it and I'm living perfectly fine with no AC. 1100 dollars sounds about right by the way. Dash removal is a hellacious process... be thankful it isn't something that the car needs to run. I would say just suck it up for the time being. winter isn't all that far away.

I had the dealer do my 2000 XJ evaporator, I think it was in 2005. Cost me a grand back then, I'm in FL, it was summer, I paid the bill. Growing up in New Jersey I could never justify the cost of air conditioning in a car, just went without and it was fine.

Like Talyn said, what year?

I just happen to have my '90 XJ apart right now and could get some great pics for you but they won't be much good if your XJ is a 1997 or newer.

I remember reading a writeup in which the glovebox was pulled, then the bar underneath it was cut and then the HVAC box could be pulled, but I tried searching for it but haven't come up with the right search terms -- I either get thousands of hits, or none.

I didn't save it when I saw it because I thought it was a hack job and I didn't want to do it that way myself. But desperate times do call for desperate measures!

Otherwise, the classical way to do the job is remove the dash to get access to the HVAC box.

Here's a writeup for early Cherokees:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=931690&highlight=heater+core

and one for 97+
http://buckeyejeeps.com/stuff/XJEvapReplacement.pdf

HTH

Nice links HappyDog.... lotta commitment required to start that job.
my line to the evaporator is cold w/ ice, air seems uneffected (maybe 2-5 degrees cooler) and my compressor cycles on/off every 10 seconds or so. Anyone that has a hot tip on that for me to follow on would be appreciated- not that I want to entirely derail this thread.

Back