• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strength of OEM Aluminum Wheels?

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
Naxja,
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the aluminum oem wheels that came on XJs ever failing when on rocks. And I mean rock crawling and getting the edge of the wheel on a rock and the weight of the jeep bending or cracking the wheel?
More and more of the trails I am running here around VA,NC,WV, and TN have bulky rocks that make my 33s look pathetic and after wheeling I will find that my wheels have a lot of scratches on them from grinding against rocks. I love the way my OEM wheels look and changing to steel wheels with rock rings isn't on my important to do list.

BTW here is what I am wheeling on

ALY01512U.jpg

Here you can see how the middle kind of bubbles outward.
new_condition_5_jeep_cherokee_wrangler_oem_aluminum_wheels_15_x_7_250_capital_hill_24563473.jpg

For anyone that doesn't know there is a ton of backspacing on these wheels and the part of the wheel that sticks out the furthest is right in the middle where the lugs are.
I was kind of figuring the side of the wheel you see when on the jeep should be very strong given all of the material that is right there but I am worried about the inside lip on the backside being bent pretty easily?

Any advice I can get would help. This is my DD if that changes anything. Has anyone wheeled these or other Aluminum OEM wheels before and abused them to a point of bending/failure?

Nick

Last edited:
Nick, I've been wheeling on Aluminum wheels for years.
They get rock rash, and I've even left a bit of metal here and there along the trail, but I have never had one bend or break.

'Course I only do light wheeling where I drive it like I expect it to get me home (which it does), not any extreme wheeling where you expect to have a trailer to get it home.

Ron

On my 2001 I run the factory aluminum wheels off my 1985 XJ (the bullet hole style) and, in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alabama, run the same type of trails as you.

I second Ron, they've got rash but never failed me. I say run 'em.

Back