• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace stock leafs with stock lift leafs

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hello - after much consideration, for simplicity, I am planning on replacing my old leafs with stock height ones, or a bit higher. I am looking at the Dorman ones, are they any good. Any other aftermarket ones that are better?I looked at OME 1.5 but prob need some extra gear to go with? I will probably replace shackles, u bolts, and maybe put in a coil spacer or get new coils if needed, but thats it. I want good parts, just don't really need to be messing with introducing and vibrations, etc. by lifting higher, its really just my DD. I'll save that for a different rig. Any info on direct stock leafs swaps greatly appreciated. I have done a LOT of searching, but NAXJA knows best. I am aware of the S-10 swap. Thanks y'all.

I just picked up some Crown "OEM" replacements. But before I put them in, I decided to add a Rubicon Express 2" add-a-leaf kit to them.

Actually, I got the lift kit first, then decided that my old leaves were so shot it'd be pointless to put the kit on THEM, so then I had to get new "stock" leaves to make it all work. A pretty backasswards way to go about it.

I'm pretty happy with the way it all turned out in the end, but I wish I would have planned it all better. Probably could have saved some money AND ended up with "better" parts.

As for what you're contemplating, you shouldn't NEED to replace your shackles depending on the condition your current ones are in. If you're looking for more lift than just the 1.5 from the leaves, then sure, but there ought to be no need for a change from just changing the leaves.

Are you planning on shocks too? I don't know if you would NEED longer shocks for a 1.5 lift, but I'm feeling like you'd want them.

Even just lifting mine 2" (well, with the new leaves, plus the lift, plus new tires and slightly larger wheels I ended up being up more like 4") messed with my alignment and there were some serious vibrations there (a/k/a death wobble) afterward, whereas I'd only had a little beforehand. But I think you're more worried about drivetrain vibes, right? That's why I tried to stay under that 3-4" lift threshold where you start getting in to "complicated" stuff like slip yoke eliminators, axle shims, dropping transfer cases, etc.. Yuck. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Everyone will tell you that every jeep is different. Some you can lift 4' and not have vibes, others you can lift 3' and have 'em bad. I suppose that's probably true. Mine's the only one I've ever done, so I can't compare. As I mentioned, at the end of the day, I'm up 4" and if I have any vibes at all they're very slight and are probably just psycosomatic because part of me knows I'm right at the danger zone now.

Okay. So that was kind of rambling and incoherent. Sorry about that. Hopefully something within all of this twaddle will be of some use to you. Good luck. It's a hard decision to make if you don't enjoy just throwing handfulls of money at the project. I know I deliberated for a long time (though not quite long enough apparently), so I know it's not much fun . . . yet. You'll get there though.

Thanks for your info. I saw the crown replacements but have heard the dormant are a bit better so I'm leaning towards them. True? I just put on new Bilstein (stock ht.) shocks so I don't want any leafs that won't fit with these. I heard the dormans are HD/UpCountry leafs and will give me a tad of lift but hopefully not a problem. Maybe a coil spacer, how big? I just didn't know what other leafs I could use with these shocks. I have no vibes whatsoever right now and don't want to introduce anything, so keeping it simple. Anyone else have experience with stock height replacement leafs? Thx- TJ

Greets.., Diplomatically speaking.., please indicate your year model. Notice that you can insert said, and additional info., at the bottom of your post. Helps others to "hone-in" on your vehicle's particular attributes, or detriments, and how to deal with them when authoring posts to you.

My mere 1.5" lift gives my vehicle certain pluses, i.e., a bit larger tires, but required the 'T'-case spacers, (as part of the warranty), 'relieving' motor mounts in the process of proper drive train vector.., all really rather simple tasks. Went with the matching front coils.., all good. Any higher than 1.5", I would probably have to consider a tranny swap-out, SYE, etc. The metallurgy of the rather stock height replacements you are considering are subject to discussion as per the longevity you might expect from them. My new to me XJ with 170k miles badly needed replacements of the OEM leafs. Hence I replaced the OEM, with OME. I expect the replacement coils, and leafs to outlive the vehicle as OME are tauted to be very well made with a concern for dealing with miles, and miles of Australian washboard roads. However, OME did have a recall on their military type leaf system as the metallurgy was not proper. That said, it is also a fact that many XJ parts are made in china, and other places where the parts are either good, or bad. Perhaps it's better to really investigate each part replacement as to quality, and longevity before one surrenders hard earned cash on sub-standard 'cloned' parts. Happy Trails NorCal--Truckee.

Great post I must say. I have a 1991 Cherokee Sport 5 speed. The Dorman I have heard are made in Columbia? And are supposedly good quality. (Good amazon reviews at least..) - TJ

Question: If I get coil spacers for my 91 4.0 will they replace the spring isolators or get added to them? I am going to get the doorman rear leafs and sounds like I will need to add some height to the front maybe .75" . sounds right? are they all brands pretty much the same? Sorry, my jeep is stock so don't know much about any lifting stuff.. thx-

You are in California, so may not have to fight immovable front leaf spring bolts that break loose the captive nut inside the frame rail.......but, you are courting a real headache! What I did was leave the factory original leaf in place, then cut the end loops of the new (used OEM) main leaf, and stack the whole works with a new center pin. This provided a double main leaf spring pack. I rides fine, doesn't drop as much with a load on, and added about 1.5 inches height over stock. I have new OME front coils to level it out- poly spacers would also work for less cost.

just completed a leaf swap on my 2000 jeep cherokee using Dorman 301. There were some decent write ups out there and I was planning on cutting the front/ rear eye to remove the complete spring, but why bother. I left the main spring on both sides took apart the Dormans and added one of the old leafs after cutting it to keep the leafs staggered. I gained a 3" lift without taking the main leaf out. Way easier then cutting the main spring or trying to break loose a 21mm nut in a Canadian jeep, a jeep from California might just try add a leaf first, might be all you need. Good luck!.

I should add that the rear end was 28" after the swap it sat 31". That's how bad it was sagging.

Last edited:
Back