• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head gasket

I'm not sure if the xj calls for any sealer on the head bolts (some engines do, check your service manual) If the manual doesn't call for any sealer you want to put a light coat of oil on the threads and the shoulder of the bolt to get a more accurate torque reading.

Install the gasket dry.

looking at you head from the driverside...here is the tightening sequence (start at 1 and work your way out)

12 8 4 1 5 9 13
11 7 3 2 6 10 14

step 1...tighten all bolts to 22ft/lbs
step 2....tighten all bolts to 45 ft/lbs
step 3....recheck all bolts at 45ft/lbs
step 4...tighten all bolts except #11 to 110ft/lbs, then tighten #11 to 100ft/lbs...

Dont forget on #11 to put thread sealant on it cause it goes in a water jacket.

Install the gasket dry.

looking at you head from the driverside...here is the tightening sequence (start at 1 and work your way out)

12 8 4 1 5 9 13
11 7 3 2 6 10 14

step 1...tighten all bolts to 22ft/lbs
step 2....tighten all bolts to 45 ft/lbs
step 3....recheck all bolts at 45ft/lbs
step 4...tighten all bolts except #11 to 110ft/lbs, then tighten #11 to 100ft/lbs...

Dont forget on #11 to put thread sealant on it cause it goes in a water jacket.

Mission accomplished this morning.. thanks!

It's wierd that my head gasket let go/lifted at that #11 bolt, cylinder into the water jacket. I wonder why that #11 needs to be torqued different/less? It only sees water at the tip and is next to cylinder water jackets just like the other bolts.

It's wierd that my head gasket let go/lifted at that #11 bolt, cylinder into the water jacket. I wonder why that #11 needs to be torqued different/less? It only sees water at the tip and is next to cylinder water jackets just like the other bolts.

It gets less torque because of the void at the water jacket--less surface area in contact between the bolt and head, less torque required. If you tried to torque it to the same specs as the other bolts your end result would likely be stripping the head/bolt.

That makes sense. I should have tried to measure the # threads in that #11 bolt hole and compared it to the others. ?Less threads, glad I torqued it to spec. and not 'whats 10pounds extra all around'.

Back