• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Wheel Bearing?

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
I have a D44. Both shafts need wheel bearings. I have acess to a press, but i've never done this before.

Do i just put everything in order and press it all together at once or do i press it together in stages?

Put on retaining plate, then the axle seal, then press on the bearing along with the race, and then the retainer. Is that right?

Anything else i should know?

Sounds right. Put the retaining plate and seal on, then press the bearing on, then press the retainer ring on. The retainer ring goes on much easier if you heat it up with a torch first to make it expand.

all to once.. no need to do it in stages or use heat. A little grease on the inside bores to help things slide together.

Need some quick help. I'm not so sure i have this correct. Is everything in line correct? I keep flipping my oil seal around because i'm not sure which way it goes.

I'm about to go insane.

Is this correct below?

Yes. That is correct

Bearings are now pressed on. I went to install the shafts into the tube and it wouldn't go in. I looked into the axle tube and i can see what appears to be part of a bearing in there. Do i pull this out or what? If so, how the hell do i pull it out?

You can see it in this picture.

No way mine would come out with my fingers. Tried that but both sides would get hung up on the way out. A couple quick pulls on the slide hammer and they were out.

It looks OK to me. :dunno:

It is OK.. I was wrong. Once I put the ole binoculars on I could see it better.

I installed a set wrong once.. costly mistake.

While were on the subject of these bearings.. anyone have a good tip for separating the tapered bearing from the race? Mine seem stuck together awful tight.. right out of the box.

Back