• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam/Lifters Break-In Lube?

Sidewinder CC

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a preference or opinion of which off the self cam/lifter break-in lube to use.

I've read in several forums on the net above the use of GM COS 88862586 as a cam/lifter break-in lube. The bottle I got from a Chevy dealer says that GM does not recommend it as an additive to engine oil. WTF.

My engine rebuilder says to use Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive for the cam/lifer break-in run. The Lucas bottle says to add the full bottle to the engine along with the regular oil capacity of the engine.

Any ideas?

I never use any.
Seems to me that 99.9% of CAM/Lifter damage is done in the 1st 30 seconds of operation.
Use lots of assembly lube on both the lobes and lifters before installation. Pre-lube the engine if possible.

Run Engine 5 minutes at different RPMs with no load.

I never use any.
Seems to me that 99.9% of CAM/Lifter damage is done in the 1st 30 seconds of operation.
Use lots of assembly lube on both the lobes and lifters before installation. Pre-lube the engine if possible.

Yup. This.

I suppose your theory and practice is okay for a DIY rebuild but when the warranty from a rebuilder specifies using a break-in lube, guess what...I will use it. It's just a matter of which is better to use.

I never use any.

I heard to run the engine at 2000 rpms for 20mins no load.

I would do what the builder says... is he saying add the Lucas to the 6qts of oil?

I need to do the same for my break in.

He didn't say to add he 16 oz. bottle of Lucas to 6 qts of motor oil, he just said he recommends the Lucas Break-In Oil Additive.

Edit: The Lucas bottle says to add the entire bottle to the engine's regular oil capacity.

There's lots of forums mentioning GM COS. Most cam manufacturers say to use their oil additive. There's magazine articles about cam break-in, and some mention using GM COS; I didn't see any magazine article mention Lucas.

I heard to run the engine at 2000 rpms for 20mins no load.

I've been gathering data that specifies run in RPM and time techniques. They all say to go directly to a high RPM and Do Not let it idle. The average recommendation is to immediately go to 2500 RPM, then slowly, and constantly,vary the RPM from 2000 RPM to 3000 RPM over a period of 20-30 minutes. 3000 RPM is the magic number for rotating the lifters (must do).

If need be, shut the engine down to investigate and correct any noises and leaks, then repeat the varying RPM break in for the remainder of the 20-30 minutes.

Go to the cam manufacturer's web sites and read what they have to say about break-in procedures. Crane cams has a good bit of info to share.

Chad at Golen just told me to run a break in oil for 20 mins at 2000 rpm. Nothing else.

I hear so many different ways... but I have to listen to engine builders, I think.

I had read that at or near 3000 RPM is the magic number for lifter rotation...who knows.

Seems odd though that under normal ganny drivng the RPM seldom gets to or over 3000 RPM for any length of time, so where's the lifter rotation while in service?

Several members on NAXJA have recommended running an in-service engine with lifter tick to run the engine up to, or over, 3000 RPM to clear the lifter. I wonder if this fix has anything to do with lifter rotation.

Oil pressure maxes out around 3K, which is likely where that number came from.
Lifters spin because of their domed bottoms and the rise of the CAM lobe. They stop spinning if they become flat bottomed.

Anywho, since you took the job to a Pro and you are worried about warranty, email him or get him on the Phone. I would get a brand of lube (looks like you mentioned Lucas), and exact Break-In directions from him.

Last edited:
The last engine I built used a Comp Cam and came with a bottle of this to add to the break in oil.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_i=B002EE0G40
Their instruction said to start the engine and immediately increase the RPMs to 2000-2500 for 30 minutes, varying the engine speed up and down within the indicated range. After 30 minutes, drain and replace the oil and filter.

ATK's crate engine replacement instructions say to start the engine and immediately increase the RPMs to 2000 for 20 minutes, followed by an easy 20 mile drive, then change the oil and filter.

Using plenty of assembly lube is always a good idea, as well as a high RPM cam break-in.

Joe Gibbs BR30 for 500 miles.

Vary between 2000 rpm-3000 rpm for 20-30 minutes for cam breakin. Make sure you get it fired on the first key turn. The RPM is more about oil splash and getting the oil hot than it is about lifter rotation. The lifters will rotate at any RPM, even turning the engine over by hand.

Back