• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hole in the roof

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
The driver side extreme rear corner have a rust hole that let the rain into the cargo bay. I want to plug that hole but do not have the time to weld a patch in/on. My thinking is that there is some kind of paste or epoxy that I put there that will work for awhile. What would you recommend? I have also seen a few vehicles from time to time with tape of some sort that I assume is used as a patch. What is it?

If you don't have time, stick some cardboard in and fill it over with roofing tar, problem solved.

What about JB Weld? It's an epoxy, but claims to be specially-formulated to bond - or fill holes in - metal.

But if this is a rust hole, usual rules apply: get rid of the rust, or at least use a rust-treatment or converter, before trying to fix the hole.

How large is the hole

Good question.

If it is a "smallish" hole go to the hardware and get some plumber's repair goop--comes in a stick form, you mash it around in your hand to mix the amount you need for the repair, then fill in the hole.

Holds up really well, and easy to get off when you are ready to do a permanent fix.

I have also seen a few vehicles from time to time with tape of some sort that I assume is used as a patch. What is it?
How about duct tape for a temporary repair?
Eternabond tape will last for decades, as long as the roof doesn't rot out from under it. I use it for RV roof and seam sealing.
http://www.eternabond.com/

Back