• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Pump took a Dump

Ok, so my kids XJs power steering pump took a dump. The pulley is so out of balance it looks like it is going to fly into orbit while spewing fluid from somewhere behind it. I need to get it fixed in a hurry. So here are my questions.

1. Is there a purely "bolt in" WJ upgrade and if so, what years. BOLT IN is key as I don't really have the time to mess around with mocking anything up and I don't have the time or space right not to fab anything.

2. If there is a direct bolt in WJ upgrade, what are the pros and cons? Is it going to cause any issues down the road.

3. It's a daily driver with 31AT tires, should I install a cooler?

4. Is there a specific pulley that people like to use? Why? And is it worth it?

5. Is there a see through inline filter I can use?

Ok, so my kids XJs power steering pump took a dump. The pulley is so out of balance it looks like it is going to fly into orbit while spewing fluid from somewhere behind it. I need to get it fixed in a hurry. So here are my questions.

1. Is there a purely "bolt in" WJ upgrade and if so, what years. BOLT IN is key as I don't really have the time to mess around with mocking anything up and I don't have the time or space right not to fab anything.

2. If there is a direct bolt in WJ upgrade, what are the pros and cons? Is it going to cause any issues down the road.

3. It's a daily driver with 31AT tires, should I install a cooler?

4. Is there a specific pulley that people like to use? Why? And is it worth it?

5. Is there a see through inline filter I can use?

If its best for me to stick with a stock XJ pump, what brands should I stay away form????

I would avoid Vatozone. Napa and carquest have good quality parts.

Just get a pump for an XJ and save modification headaches for a DD on 31's. no need for coolers or anything else.

napa, o'reillys, or advanced... they're all built by the same company... A1 Cardone.

Just get a pump for an XJ and save modification headaches for a DD on 31's. no need for coolers or anything else.

napa, o'reillys, or advanced... they're all built by the same company... A1 Cardone.

I think thats the route I'm going to go right now. I'm planning on going bigger and higher though. Parts for WJs are a dime a dozen down here though. I'll just get a new pump and pulley for the XJ and see how long it lasts but, I will ad an inline filter and a small cooler. Its hot down here. I like the extra capacity of a cooler also. NAPA already has the parts waiting in me. I'm going to flush the gear box because of all the grit I found in the pump resivoir...that can't be good. Thats why I'm looking for a see through filter. Any suggestions?

I think thats the route I'm going to go right now. I'm planning on going bigger and higher though. Parts for WJs are a dime a dozen down here though. I'll just get a new pump and pulley for the XJ and see how long it lasts but, I will ad an inline filter and a small cooler. Its hot down here. I like the extra capacity of a cooler also. NAPA already has the parts waiting in me. I'm going to flush the gear box because of all the grit I found in the pump resivoir...that can't be good. Thats why I'm looking for a see through filter. Any suggestions?
How difficult it is to replace the pulley only? Looking at it, it was not obvious to me how to get one off and back on. Are special tools required? The bearings on mine sound like they are going out.

How difficult it is to replace the pulley only? Looking at it, it was not obvious to me how to get one off and back on. Are special tools required? The bearings on mine sound like they are going out.
The pulley isnt really that hard to press on. You could make due with a bottle jack or a pair of C-clamps. Getting it off....I've always had better luck with the tool.

Back