• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waterpump suggestions

hesco. replaced 3 Napa premium pumps in a period of 4 months one summer along time ago. Replaced with a hesco that I had for 6 years and is now running in another 4.0 for the last 2. Running a newer model Hesco now.

I really don't have the budget for a Hesco...was hoping I could find a good brand.. Cardone, AC Delco.. ?

Any other have good / bad experience with Hesco?

Last edited:
Crown makes nice wp's you can get em through quadetec

Carquest does make good stuff typically, warranty to boot. I have a carquest WP on my heep. been on there for a couple years meow, no issues.

Weasel that really suprises me on the NAPA premo pumps, I've been working at the same napa store since 2005 and I've yet to see a single waterpump come back.

stay away from cardone, while i don't have experience with their waterpumps specifically, IMO the quality on just about everything else they make (mostly remanufactured) sucks ass.

napa pumps are lifetime warranty, and if you have a problem like weasel and you're not satisfied with the product we can give you your money back instead of just shoveling the same product at you over and over.

Usual suspect for repeat waterpump failure are an overtightened belt, it puts a lateral load on the bearings in the pump. not saying that's your problem here Weasel just mentioning it to get the info out there.

I'm running NAPA Premiums in both of my XJs. They are very finicky about the belt
tension, however. If the belt tension is set too tight then the WP bearing will self-destruct
in short time.

Good points, thanks all. I always trust Napa's stuff. The O'Reilly's here usually has good parts too. The have a HD version of one for $55... I might have them order that one or look at what Napa has too.

How have you guys had such problems? My jeep is a 2000 with the stock pump. Just flush every 30k miles and I have had no problems.

How have you guys had such problems? My jeep is a 2000 with the stock pump. Just flush every 30k miles and I have had no problems.

My stock pump was still good at 155k!! Until the engine blew. I still have the stock pump as a backup. Pretty amazing actually, that is lasted that long. Mine is a 2000 too.

I'm running NAPA Premiums in both of my XJs. They are very finicky about the belt tension, however. If the belt tension is set too tight then the WP bearing will self-destruct in short time.
Get a Krikit Tension gauge for measuring the belt tension.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gtr-09002/overview
Set the tension at 190-lbs if new, 170-lbs if used for over 15 minutes.
The tension will feel very tight when set correctly, it needs to be tight to drive all the accessories.

I have had good luck with both Napa and Hesco pumps .

Stock one last fine to about 145K-ish. Parts tore stuff is just not that good either. Cheap overseas parts is my guess. Something was odd with the so called "new" units as well. Can't remember the details. My jeep has over 220k on it now. Hesco did +90% of those miles.

I replaced mine with a stock one at 155k miles as a precautionary measure when I replaced the radiator. Great quality and not expensive.

Back