• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo goes crazy and starts to run bad!

Alboy97XJ

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
97 auto 4.0l FYI... So went wheeling today and the speedo started going crazy on the way to the trail... It jumps all around and starts running like crap and shifts in and out of 2-3 and 1-2 at slower speeds... It loses power bad to where a few times I was in 4lo uphill offroad and I was foot to floor and no power... I managed to get a video on the road... http://youtu.be/B5CinCMaezc

If I shit it off and turn back on it runs fine for a min or two... And when I got bad in 4lo it felt like it was in second gear and wouldn't shift down unless I shut off and restart... Any ideas? Thanks

Possible Cluster or Vehicle Speed Sensor failure.

Located on the Driver's side of the Transfer Case. The VSS is driven by a gear in the TC. As it rotates, it generates a "pulse train" signal to the Powertrain Control Module. The PCM measures the frequency of the signal and sends that data in a multiplexed signal to the Instrument Cluster where it is all decoded and the gauges are driven.

As there does not appear to be any CEL (Check Engine Light) events happening (or are there?) then the cluster is a bit, IMO, more suspect. Re-seating the cluster in it's connectors may be in order. there are threads here that document the process. Not difficult, just consumes a bit of time...

The "normal" Speedometer failure is that it stops working all together. This one is different which may be why no advice.

Usually, when the VSS fails, you get a CEL for the VSS. It is a monitored component.

Well found a ground loose on the driver side on the manifold... Reattached it and so far so good...

And so far no good... Did it again tonight... Also noticed that in reverse under throttle it would run like crap and misfire but any other gear besides reverse it was fine.... Only did it a few times now can't do it again... New problem?

Check the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) with an analog-type ohmmeter (the kind with
a needle pointer dial). Hook it up and, with engine off, s-s-slowly work the throttle
by hand from the idle position to wide open throttle while keeping an eye on the ohmmeter.
Any blips or hiccups in the needle as it sweeps across the dial means the TPS is bad.

The '97+ XJ ground connection at the oil dipstick tube attach stud is for the Data Link Connector.

The ground at the firewall to engine is a radio noise suppresion bond.

Here's the grounds you should be looking at (Detaching, inspecting, and cleaning) - see pic. It's called ground G101. The pic shows the circuits that are grounded there.

G101.jpg

Cleaned those up and replaced vss for the hell of it... when I replaced it I found that the three wires where exposed from being melted and looked to be againts the exhaust. Fixed all that up and so far its good... will find out more in tonights wheeling adventure. .. thanks for the ideas people!!!

Back